Zoanthids - Placement, Lighting, Flow, etc. - Looking for Tips as I am setting up an all Zoanthids 2

cimmorine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on the lighting from where you're getting your zoas from.
When I buy from a t5 or mh system they seem to take a while to open and then grow. I'm going to convert my lighting system to t5 because I hate having to acclimate every time I get a new piece. It's not fair to my other inhabitants and most lfs/hobbyist use t5 or metal halide.

Mattyice008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I'm a z/p collector and have about 60-65 different kinds in my nuvo 16. I've noticed that every zoa has similar preferred parameters, while the bigger sister palys are a lot more picky, and if you get it right they will take off. For example, candy apple reds love high light. I put a frag low light and a frag very high light ( LEDs). At the 1 month mark, the lower frag had a very small baby head, and the higher one had 3-4 heads the size of the mother polyp. If the zoas or palys you have are well known and have a name, look them up and see what people say about their placement. Zoas in my tank are easy and like med flow and low to med light. All my palys have different likes. My utter chaos are on the sand bed and high flow, I frag them once a week and looks like I get a new head every day, while my candy apple reds are high light and low flow, and I get about the same growth. Hope this helps. I do 20-25% water change once every 7-14 days and dose coral snow, coral Vitalizer once a day, phytopure once every other day, and fuel once a week.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not every zoa has the same needs, so different level frag racks is a must.

That is a Good Idea but how do you know which Rack to put them on?

Is there a Web Site that says "Put this Zoanthid here and this one here"?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back