Zoanthids

Wvreefnewb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put my first frag in my first reef tank. I have a small zoanthid. I know they require high light and high water flow. My question is how do you calculate what is good flow. I heard like swaying grass is what you are looking for. Also the frag is not opening all the way up. What could be the issue?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics, a lot of variables when it comes to zoas not opening. Lighting, chemistry, ect. I would not blast them with light or tons of flow initially. Let them acclimate to your tank. Mild flow to where nothing is resting on them is suffecient.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put my first frag in my first reef tank. I have a small zoanthid. I know they require high light and high water flow. My question is how do you calculate what is good flow. I heard like swaying grass is what you are looking for. Also the frag is not opening all the way up. What could be the issue?
Zoas can be medium to high light, as far as flow goes it doesn't have to be blasted, mine arent really even in any flow to be honest. Sometimes they can be temperamental and only open halfway while other on the same colony are fully open, and sometimes they can just stay closed all the way at times.

OP
OP
Wvreefnewb

Wvreefnewb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can be medium to high light, as far as flow goes it doesn't have to be blasted, mine arent really even in any flow to be honest. Sometimes they can be temperamental and only open halfway while other on the same colony are fully open, and sometimes they can just stay closed all the way at times.

OP
OP
Wvreefnewb

Wvreefnewb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What kind of coral is this?

IMG_0866.JPG

OP
OP
Wvreefnewb

Wvreefnewb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics, a lot of variables when it comes to zoas not opening. Lighting, chemistry, ect. I would not blast them with light or tons of flow initially. Let them acclimate to your tank. Mild flow to where nothing is resting on them is suffecient.

image.jpg

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of light do you have on the tank? In my experience, zoa like low-med light and flow. Though it not a bad idea to start them with those light and flow requirement anyway since they are new addition to your tank.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will form a matt like structure that won't adhere to sand very well. There used to be a lot in our reef tank on rocks but I literally peeled it off. Left some on the over flow and it looks pretty cool. It can be invasive so just watch placement.

bk_market

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP is beginner coral but if keep under control can be super cool in a tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back