Zoa's above water line during water changes - dangerous?

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have made a bad decision when setting up my tank by placing my Zoa's on a high rock that is briefly out of the water during a water change. So far, the zoa have not seemed to mind, but I read somewhere yesterday that being out of the water increases the chance of them releasing palytoxins if they happen to be the type that can do so. Is this fact, or internet fiction?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have made a bad decision when setting up my tank by placing my Zoa's on a high rock that is briefly out of the water during a water change. So far, the zoa have not seemed to mind, but I read somewhere yesterday that being out of the water increases the chance of them releasing palytoxins if they happen to be the type that can do so. Is this fact, or internet fiction?
I regularly do this every month when changing water, and have for the last five years. I even take them out of the water to frag them. I'd say myth, but nothing is impossible.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on whether it’s used to it or not . I had a rock full of about 50 sunny D’s that were out of the water every water change and never had a issue .

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think his question was more about would the zoas out of water release a cloud of toxin that kills or injures the entire neighborhood. I say probably for sure maybe. Also never make eye contact with them or they can kill you in your dreams. Obviously never say zoas three times either.

It’s probably, maybe, for sure fine ;)

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I think you have answered my question :) It's a mix of Zoa's (cornbreads, jaw breakers, yellow brick roads, daisy cutters, jungle juice) but I don't know for sure if any of them are Paly.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Over the years I've had dozens of different types of zoanthids and palys exposed during a water change, tank move or just getting new ones in, and never had a issue at all with them.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the Zoas originall are shipped into the country they are shipped in bags wrapped in wet newspaper - No water to save shipping cost.

I have been witness to 100's of these boxes of out of water zoas being opened and have yet to see a cloud of mustard gas explode out of the box and kill everyone in the warehouse.

But I'm sure somewhere on Reddit there is someone that was at the warehouse the same time I was, who was killed by the same shipment of zoas, but managed to still get his story posted before he was embalmed.

Dave B

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Did you know when zoas are shipped they typically only have a wet piece of paper covering them. Now ya do, I think you will be fine here.

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting info on Zoa shipping. I concur with others that you'll have no issues. My tank is set up the same. Top Inch or so of Rockwork gets exposed during water changes. My tank is mostly zoa including 4 clusters along the top and I've never had an issue. In my clown tank I have a BTA on the front glass whose foot is above the water line during Water Changes, it just dangles its head under the water with the rest exposed. Been this way for months mostly with weekly water changes. BTA shows no interest in moving.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely wear gloves anymore when messing with zoas, but I'll never have them out of the water near my face without my safety glasses on. All it takes is one squirt to the eye.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Temporary out of water, similar to tides is fine as long as not prolonged

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. Glad to know I am good to go with the Zoa's as they are. I even had my Inmarsat satellite phone charged up in case the palytoxin explosion took out land comms and I needed to use the sat to call 911 :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back