Zoas losing color

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have had a piece of live rock in my tank for about one month.
All the mushroom corals and clovers are doing well.
about 1/2 the Zoa's (orange) were doing well till this week.
then they started "whiting out"
the lose their color and go grayish and well are pretty ugly.
anyways I have watched ammonia and nitrates very closely as well as calcium.
amm and nit stay at 0
calcium is now around 400.
I am going to check all my water parameters again tonite and I will post them.
I also moved the rock slightly this weekend to help the mushroom grow and propagate (trick joedaddy mentioned)

could it be they are getting to much light with only 4 100w Pcs 2 blue actinics and 2 daylights 10k or is it 10,000k anyways any advice is great.
(even if its go read this LOL)

water parameters as follows water temp 75-78
1450 mg went up 100
8.4 ph
1.026 salinity went up .001
7.5 DKH went up .5
Ca 400 down 40
0 nitrates 0 ammonia 0 phosphates (though someone else here said the phosphate test I use is not the most accurate)

I have been very busy lately and the last really good water parameter check was 2 weeks ago (13 days to be exact)

I keep an eye on ph ammonia and nitrates with dip strips in between.

ok hope that helps.

btw when I got this light setup from someone in rasoc they said the actinics needed replacing (in nov) I will put new ones in next week.
I forgot about this until now(I was reading old info) though he said the daylights were almost new.

here are some pics
zoas.jpg

zoas.jpg

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had some bleach out totally in my frag tank. i had some nuke green, purple death and mohawks. my frag has 2 x 150mh and my nano which had a small frag of mohawks bleach as well. it has a 150mh on it.
i blame it on alk swings.s zoas are sensitive to alk swings. i had some acro's die as well due to it swinging. check you alk when your lights are on and after they turn off to see if you are experiencing a swing.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wondering if these were acclimated properly meaning started in the bottom when first placed in the tank then gradually moved up? or was this placed high up on the rocks immediately the minute it was added in the tank?

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they came from a tank with MH so I was told to not place them low then high.
so they started out in their higher position.
the mushrooms and purple clover? seem to be doing well that way but only that one little section of zoas seem to be affected.
I was told it could be my asterina starfish I have.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If the zoanthids came from a tank that had mh lighting and you have pc lighting, then you can have some bleaching of the color.

How old is the tank?

obi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah sound like they got bleached,move them to the bottom and pray man

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up since sept. I have had it semi stable with cleanup crew since november. first fish went in december, very stable so I added the first corals mostly on one rock in January. Just added 3 more coral frags. one brain, one candy cane and something I forgot the name of LOL

I am going to check the water parameters in the morning before I turn on the lights to see what kind of swings my tank is having.

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to check the water parameters in the morning before I turn on the lights to see what kind of swings my tank is having.

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found an asterina starfish literally over them eating or sucking them ? anyways pulled him off and squashed him on the glass. will watch for the next few weeks to see if that helped.

nissanrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im having the same issue my pink zoas turnd brwnish grayish purpleish not pink.. they were under t5s but i put them at the top.. they dont look like they are dying bt they lost color.
as far as the asternia goes, hes just helping anything the zoas dont eat it will get so the in betwwen each zoa will stay clean..
at first i panicked wen i saw asternia, well not panicked. didnt kno if they were good or bad did reading mixd reviews bout them. asternia just means u have a well established tank if not that then some of the live rock u have in the tank is damb good pieces. they should do any harm, then again i am kinda noob, but other reefers mightbe able to bck me up on this one. there are some asternia that are harmfull. the ones i have are brown with usually 6 arms. i have seen some blue blck white ones. they r ok.. u prob have brisstle worms in the tank too

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had some bad alk swing's in my new reef since i set it up in nov.and lost some sps frag's and your alk is a little low but that has nothing to do with zoo's i went from setting up my reef and alk was 10.2 over night it went to 6.4 the swing killed some sps then do to a bad test kit it was reading 8.0 i add akl and add alk well got a new test kit it was telling me15.4 it's back down now to 10.2 and stable now but I did not lose any zoo's so that is not it!!!

Gage Sullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody still looks at this... My zoas are slowly loosing color. I’m going between Seachem’s Reef Complete, and Reef Roids. Reef complete has more trace elements, but Reef Roids has actual food for them. (I think) Which is better? Any other brands you would recommend?

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids and Palythoas have zooxanthellae which is responsible for their coloration. However, their are more than just one strain of zooxanthellae. These corals will dispel one strain for another under varying circumstances. Light being one of the more pertinent of these. Under too much or inadequate lighting parameters, often times, Zoas and Paly’s will dispel and collect a different strain better apt to handle the change in the corals surrounding. Because of this, many times coloration and/or design/ pattern will be different after this transformation. I have some Zoanthids and Paly’s that don’t look anything like they did when I purchased them from the pet shop months ago. However, having said this they are very healthy and have spread from 2 polyps to 4 polyps.

Gage Sullivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids and Palythoas have zooxanthellae which is responsible for their coloration. However, their are more than just one strain of zooxanthellae. These corals will dispel one strain for another under varying circumstances. Light being one of the more pertinent of these. Under too much or inadequate lighting parameters, often times, Zoas and Paly’s will dispel and collect a different strain better apt to handle the change in the corals surrounding. Because of this, many times coloration and/or design/ pattern will be different after this transformation. I have some Zoanthids and Paly’s that don’t look anything like they did when I purchased them from the pet shop months ago. However, having said this they are very healthy and have spread from 2 polyps to 4 polyps.

Ok thanks for the explanation. Do you think I should feed them though? Just for extra growth/
Color? It’s a fairly new tank

Thepower2win

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are doing the same thing, but par isn’t super high, about 100-120 they are reproducing etc but look like colorless, if they have dispelled the zooaxintely responsible for the coloration, will they ever get their color back?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back