OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes some are doing great and growing well. Others are randomly infected throughout the tank.

they first close, then a slight brown film appears, then they wither away.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah you’re right on the phosphorous. I’m carbon dosing which is slowly lowering them. As for magnesium my test kits have been saying 1450. So not sure what to trust. Can low magnesium melt zoas?

Well, which would you trust, a test done in a lab by a trusted source, or a home test kit?

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes good point. I am not aware of any issues of low magnesium negatively impacting zoas.. but regardless I’ll look into raising it. Thanks everyone so far, any ideas are all welcome.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought, it’s not too low... something is definitely agitating the zoas to close, and overtaking them as they appear to become infected.

Alvaro_Spain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the rest of the tank? when I had dinos my zoas closed and eventually disappeared slowly. Getting smaller and smaller.

I had also favia, blastomussa and palythoa.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other coral are thriving. No pest algae or Dino’s prevalent.

This is so strange and I am totally stumped, hence why I am thinking their might be a zoa specific bacteria strain impacting them? There are zoas impacted in different flow areas of the tank.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought, it’s not too low... something is definitely agitating the zoas to close, and overtaking them as they appear to become infected.

Actually, it is lower than the lower end of what is recommended. Your Ca is also lower than your tests in the ICP test.

What do you use to measure your salinity? Did the ICP test give you a salinity reading? Two of the four main items that we test for in new salt mix differ in your tests and the ICP test. The other two were omitted from the ICP test, so maybe your water isn’t what you think it is.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a fairly large zoa collection and occasionally deal with similar issues, ie withering, not opening, looking thermo shocked. Idk if its a reaction to alk swings, bacterial or fungal issues. My remedy is is furan-2 baths followed immediately by a mild lugal's bath and then back into the tank. I'll go 4 days on, 1-2 days off and then another 4 days on. That usually knocks out the issue and then the zoa is back to being happy.

I noticed a sharp decline in this happening once I started dosing vitamin C again. Its not a variable I'd add to the mix right now but maybe something to consider down the road.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a furan 2 dip on the remaining infected zoas. All unaffected zoas seem to be fine and rate of spreading seems to of stopped. If the furan 2 stops the withering of the infected zoas, my guess is it is bacteria related.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Yup, sounds good. I’d stress 2 things, first, I’d strongly recommend doing at least one 4-day cycle even if the zoa looks better after the first day or two (and doesn’t look any worse). Second, the lugols bath, IMO, drastically improves the outcome.

Good luck, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Nothing is more stressful than a ticked off zoa.

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @littlebigreef I didn't see your earlier post for some reason.

I wish I did, otherwise I would of done the iodine dip after as well.

I know others have had similar issues with their zoas, not pest related. I appreciate your help.
I definitely feel that flow helps decrease chances of this happening, but higher flow does not prevent it as i have had two different strains in high flow affected.

I'll keep everyone posted,

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Alvaro_Spain Sorry I missed your post, no other soft coral but ricordea and some shrooms. All acropora & montipora.
Carbon is running as well.

@JustDewwit Sorry I missed your post as well, I must be going crazy :) Confirming 0.3 Po4 and not 0.03.

Thanks everyone!

Sethm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some furan 2. I have a very similar situation with a couple frags, hopefully this does the trick.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
@Alvaro_Spain Sorry I missed your post, no other soft coral but ricordea and some shrooms. All acropora & montipora.
Carbon is running as well.

@JustDewwit Sorry I missed your post as well, I must be going crazy :) Confirming 0.3 Po4 and not 0.03.

Thanks everyone!
That is too high. It’s probably brown film algae growing over your zoas because of the abundance of phosphate

OP
OP
mfollen

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s very possible.... but the zoas are closing before a brown film shows. Sometimes there is no brown film too...

otherwise algae isn’t a problem in the tank.

thank you!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back