Zoas Not Fully Opening

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several zoa frags from the same colony are not fully opening 2 weeks after I mounted them to plugs. Based on the vendor, I would assume the frag would have been wild collected in the gulf coast. They are slightly opening enough to see the head of the zoa, but the skirts are not extended. They are also continuing to extend into the water column, seemingly becoming longer and skinner.

They are under a hydra 16 in a 13.5 evo with macros, two gorgs extending polyps, and a happy candy cane frag. With this in mind i'm going to assume the ammonia and nitrites are zero. I'm assuming the nitrates are less than 20 as there is no livestock or feedings.

Before you ask, water parameters:

Salinity: 1.027
Temp: 79 F

Ammonia: Assuming Zero
Nitrite: Assuming Zero
Nitrate: Assuming <20ppm

Calc: ~420
Alk: 9.0-9.2
Mag: Can we pretend it's in range?

20201028_185439.jpg

Any Ideas?

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a bit high, what is your Phos? As Wes10C said, assuming is not a good idea. You really need to know. Mg you should also know. I have about 50 different zoas in my tank and when they do not open, it is 99% chance there is a parameter issue. You really should test everything to be sure, then we will have a better idea and be able to help. Could be all is well and zoas are just strange.

OP
OP
FullSend

FullSend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming is a dangerous game

Fair enough, I broke out the rest of my tests. I'm currently lacking a nitrite test kit.

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-4.4 ppm
Mg: 1520 ppm

Salinity is a bit high, what is your Phos? As Wes10C said, assuming is not a good idea. You really need to know. Mg you should also know. I have about 50 different zoas in my tank and when they do not open, it is 99% chance there is a parameter issue. You really should test everything to be sure, then we will have a better idea and be able to help. Could be all is well and zoas are just strange.

I do not own a phos test kit. I'm under the impression it is used to manage nuisance algae.

My first instinct is lack of light with how stretched those polyps look

Would low flow also be possible?

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, I broke out the rest of my tests. I'm currently lacking a nitrite test kit.

I do not own a phos test kit. I'm under the impression it is used to manage nuisance algae.

Mine like higher flow!

Wes10C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is high needs to be closer to 1300 I believe

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some zoas like higher flow. Miami vice zoas do for sure. Phos is to control algae but if your phos is to high it can kill coral. Mg should be around 1350. What is your PH?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back