Zoas not opening up

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These zoas haven’t been opening up. Idk why. The zoas on the other side of the tank are just fine so I don’t know why these are like this

465E5E8E-783B-4815-AF67-2FB0DE1C6B63.jpeg EF93BC7C-E1F5-45B7-B77F-B9D8C29EA1B6.jpeg

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long they been in your tank? Were they open before? Have you been watching them to see if things are irritating them (snails, hermits, pods, etc...). Do you dose anything?

There's a ton of reasons they may not be opening. If you've had them a while and this is a new thing, I'd try to move them. If they are new then it can take up to a week for them to open up sometimes. You can dip them in your preferred product if they are long time tank members and this has started to happen recently. Also watching them at night after lights out can help find pests.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the a new coral for the tank? Lighting and flow could be a factor.

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long they been in your tank? Were they open before? Have you been watching them to see if things are irritating them (snails, hermits, pods, etc...). Do you dose anything?

There's a ton of reasons they may not be opening. If you've had them a while and this is a new thing, I'd try to move them. If they are new then it can take up to a week for them to open up sometimes. You can dip them in your preferred product if they are long time tank members and this has started to happen recently. Also watching them at night after lights out can help find pests.
I have had them for over a month and I haven’t seen snails or crabs near them. I’ll definitely keep an eye out at night. Should I just dip them in hydrogen peroxide, or just fresh water?

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to panic or go to extremes at this point. If moving them doesn't work after a couple of days then I'd move to a dip. Have no clue if peroxide would work. I use ReVive and let them sit for 15 minutes in a double dose. A freshwater dip (temp and pH controlled) would be my next move.

Here's a pic of my zoa's before they were all eaten/melted/shredded. The arrow is pointing to something in the rocks that looked like a parasitic pod. If you look at the middle top zoa there's a lump on it. Whatever that is was eating them from the inside out. I never saw a bug on them.

50193633543_e8ffff4b03_b.jpg

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to panic or go to extremes at this point. If moving them doesn't work after a couple of days then I'd move to a dip. Have no clue if peroxide would work. I use ReVive and let them sit for 15 minutes in a double dose. A freshwater dip (temp and pH controlled) would be my next move.

Here's a pic of my zoa's before they were all eaten/melted/shredded. The arrow is pointing to something in the rocks that looked like a parasitic pod. If you look at the middle top zoa there's a lump on it. Whatever that is was eating them from the inside out. I never saw a bug on them.

50193633543_e8ffff4b03_b.jpg
Ok I’ll try that. Also they are wild zoas so idk if that’s important. But they went from yellow to a yellow green and I don’t know why.

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught? Zoa's have a reputation of being one of the most pest ridden corals out there. They have a lot of natural predators. I'd dip them in a coral dip (using tank water and a reputable dip solution) if you haven't already.

OP
OP
M

msilva11833

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught? Zoa's have a reputation of being one of the most pest ridden corals out there. They have a lot of natural predators. I'd dip them in a coral dip (using tank water and a reputable dip solution) if you haven't already.
I bought the in a lfs and they do a quarantine. I also dipped them in hydrogen peroxide before putting them in.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back