Zoas, Reef Roids, how often?

gidelgadojr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my self some Zoas with about 4-5 heads. How often and about how much should I be feeding them Reef Roids? I have a 65 gallon tank and they are my first coral in the tank.

image.jpg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m as big a proponent of feeding as the next guy, but you should know you don’t have to feed zoanthids to get them to do well(nice fruit loop zoas btw ) but if you simply must feed them turn off the flow and target feed for sure try not to over feed or you can cause bad nutrient spikes, Benepets has reef food with pre and probiotics that make feedings less likely to cause nutrient spikes so if you plan on feeding like crazy and don’t have a proper nutrient export plan try giving some of that food a try... as for reef roids use a tiny bit of water and add some roids until it’s rather thick and put it in a pipette then turn off all flow and drop the food on the zoa and wait until it swallows the food (food should be thick enough that it sinks onto the zoa)

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hardly fed mine they were growing like weed. They were not before, I guess when the condition is right they will but I would feed just once a week.

reefhomie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiked to 5.0 didn’t realize it and lost track of testing, shrooms zoas and my torch were all fine my pectina a blasto and a sps died. Yes I will partially take blame but at the same time it was just like overnight so I switched to benereef.

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to do a week where i use like plankton and foods like that over the supplements. Lets everything level out if i notice a prominent change in coral behavior.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiked to 5.0 didn’t realize it and lost track of testing, shrooms zoas and my torch were all fine my pectina a blasto and a sps died. Yes I will partially take blame but at the same time it was just like overnight so I switched to benereef.
Wow, and again tested by what kit? That’s crazy!

reefhomie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was tested with API (please don’t shun me) I have now switched over to Hanna but I double checked the test and it was the same thing. Thankfully I have caught everything and it is now under control! This baby is now growing happily lol

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    14.9 MB

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was tested with API (please don’t shun me) I have now switched over to Hanna but I double checked the test and it was the same thing. Thankfully I have caught everything and it is now under control! This baby is now growing happily lol
I got you and glad everything is now in check. I am still fighting my phosphate and it’s currently at around .29. Can’t see the video Btw

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s another reef homie on here! What’s up reef homie

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back