OP
OP
Mitej04

Mitej04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That almost looks like a sponge growing around them. It has those truncated openings.
Thank you so much! Should I remove the sponge or treat my Zoas with something. If I have to treat my Zoas what should I treat it with?

Carabeo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Should I remove the sponge or treat my Zoas with something. If I have to treat my Zoas what should I treat it with?
It's said that exposing the sponges to air can kill them. I also used a pick to remove as much as possible and dipped my frag in the diluted peroxide bath, but I still have sponges under those zoas and I didn't like how hard the peroxide dips were on the zoas. It did kill it back to where I can't see them unless the zoas are closed and thats maintained for months now.

IMG_20220731_082103.jpg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would leave the sponges be,and only remove if starts affecting your zoas in a negative way,by that I mean if zoas start staying closed during lights on time,and the sponges are starting to strangle your zoas so to speak ,not all sponges do this ,only some do it,but from what I read in lots threads like these and other general threads is most believe sponges are beneficial to the system and offer your system a more diverse system.
So until becomes a problem I would just leave it as is,from your picture only one zoa closed and zoas can close for many reasons.
Maybe start researching about sponges and then you will be more informed and make a better judged decision.

Good luck

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back