Zoas won’t open!

Dustin813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I received a colony of Zoas last Tuesday via UPS overnight. When I open them, I noticed that the water was very cold. I’m new to the hobby and didn’t learn about drip acclimation until after the fact (of course), so I just floated the bag in my tank for 30-40 minutes after a dip in coral rx. They’ve been in the tank for 7 days now and none have opened up. Is there anything I can do to help them out?

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I received a colony of Zoas last Tuesday via UPS overnight. When I open them, I noticed that the water was very cold. I’m new to the hobby and didn’t learn about drip acclimation until after the fact (of course), so I just floated the bag in my tank for 30-40 minutes after a dip in coral rx. They’ve been in the tank for 7 days now and none have opened up. Is there anything I can do to help them out?

Probably nothing but watch them patiently. Make sure they are in lower light.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they haven't melted they probably will open up eventually. I received some in ice cold water that had been in transit for 50+hrs and after about 5 days they did finally open up. I lost a few polyps but some from each frag survived. Granted this is less time then yours have been closed but if they aren't dead they are simply closed, meaning eventually they will open.

Ice

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact its a colony and not single polyps or 2-3 makes it safe to say they should be okay. Low light with low/mod flow and left alone. Ive had a few recently come in that took over a week to adjust with how the weather is.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. If your tank have all the reef params ok, they are going to be fine..
Make sure you keep params stable and offer proper light.
Make sure you aren't "burning" them with LEDs!
Grandis.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 80.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back