Zoas wont open up

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a peppermint or camel shrimp in the pic? I asked if you had any before...
Next is how much do you feed your tank?
Right now you are looking for causes.
1)Shrimp eating the flesh could be one of them. Peppermint shrimp love the flesh of acans if they are not "fed." That means they can be "not reef safe."
2)Your light fixture is not made for growing corals. Even if you change the bulb.
3)Flow for your surface is as important as flow on on the coral for gas exchange.
4)Your corals produce O² for your tank during the day and absorbing to much at night. Remember they are animals and do breath. They need flow to help expel gas exchange.
5)Your filtration probably has bioballs in it. Those things are garbage and detritus traps. The surface area to hold beneficial bacteria is the lowest in all the hobby at like 170. Beef it up with marine pure balls that has 2,400, add some Nite-Out ll to your filtration.
6)Do not target feed zoas. They do go into protection mode. Broadcast feed the tank.

Fishy_mcfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you figure it out let me know because I’m having the same issues with my zoas! They look fine and healthy but they just don’t open. Been like that for weeks

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have a protein skimmer? @Fishy_mcfish @Betta-Chetta
The reason I ask is, because not only are they good for pulling out crap in the tank, but they are great for putting O² back in your tank.
I have 12 colonies of Zoas and had this same problem a month ago. My Rastas and a green and purples closed up. I had pulled an extra Fluval 50 filter off and replaced that with a chaeto reactor. It decreased/messed up my biological filtration. Then I added Nite-Out ll to the existing biological filtration/marine pure block in the fluval C4. Then everything was fine.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys ive tried to keep zoas and they open for a week and then they close up. What am i doing wrong? I have t5 compact lighting and i dose with fuel, calcium and alkalinity twice aweek and feed reef roids.
Test your alkalinity!
No GFO! Avoid carbon for now to test!
Water changes!
Grandis.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back