Zoster or Yellow Zoster Butterflyfish

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with the Zoster or Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish? Wondering about their personality in the home aquaria

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Zoster Pyramid and he got along with everybody including corals and inverts. He did eat every trace of Xenia which was one reason I got him in the first place.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow pyramid butterfly. Great butterfly addition to a reef tank. Completely reef safe. Not sure what you're looking for in terms of personality, because I don't typically ascribe human traits to my fish. Mine is always out in the open, on display, is a voracious eater, and not intimidated by other somewhat aggressive fish. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow pyramid butterfly. Great butterfly addition to a reef tank. Completely reef safe. Not sure what you're looking for in terms of personality, because I don't typically ascribe human traits to my fish. Mine is always out in the open, on display, is a voracious eater, and not intimidated by other somewhat aggressive fish. Hope this helps.

That’s pretty well what I mean by “personality”. More behavioral personality, rather than human personality traits.
Also wondering about possibly a small group of yellow, or yellow/zoster mixed

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of seven (3 zoster; 4 yellow pyramid). They need space and are voracious eaters. Good reef tank fish otherwise.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty well what I mean by “personality”. More behavioral personality, rather than human personality traits.
Also wondering about possibly a small group of yellow, or yellow/zoster mixed
What size tank do you have, and what other inhabitants? They are supposedly good in groups, but being a fairly large fish, you can't mix a group of them with say a group of tangs in any tank under 200+ gallons. I have a solo pyramid mixed with mid-sized tangs and a male Bellus Angel in a 125g, and that's pushing the limits.

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have, and what other inhabitants? They are supposedly good in groups, but being a fairly large fish, you can't mix a group of them with say a group of tangs in any tank under 200+ gallons. I have a solo pyramid mixed with mid-sized tangs and a male Bellus Angel in a 125g, and that's pushing the limits.

I have a 120 (4x2x2) with only a midnight clown pair and a Midas blenny. There was a scopas and fishers angel, but they’ve been removed (angel was picking, and scopas was a bully to any wrasse I added). I’m thinking of 2 yellow pyramid, 1 zoster butterfly (maybe), square tail bristletooth, and 2-3 fairy wrasse. It’s a mixed reef, but lps heavy

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add the Tang last. I have a yellow in my 120 reef and it’s a very nice fish. Easy to feed and just a pretty fish. I also have a few flasher wrasses and a Bimac Anthias and they all get along. I will eventually add a tang but not till I am satisfied I have all the other fish I want. Pyramids are a favorite of mine.

OP
OP
RyanSweet

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a group of seven (3 zoster; 4 yellow pyramid). They need space and are voracious eaters. Good reef tank fish otherwise.

What size tank are you running with 7 of them getting along?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you running with 7 of them getting along?

A 450 .....

63C8F6A4-5952-417E-8032-7B5559DC4229.png

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 2 and they were doin great then i foolishly added inverts from an online purchase and my tang came down with marine velvet 1 died tried to save the other in QT with copper but he died 2 days ago :(

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%

Back