3 day black out hair algae

connor.tuggle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into doing a 3 day black out to try and help with hair algae. I have corals and 1 anemone in the tank. Does blackout mean all lights off for 3 days or just on a low setting?

image.jpg

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your SPS won’t like a black out. You may have to do manual removal initially.

After that, stock up on snails and a tang or fox face.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m looking into doing a 3 day black out to try and help with hair algae. I have corals and 1 anemone in the tank. Does blackout mean all lights off for 3 days or just on a low setting?

image.jpg
Blackout often not the answer as the algae will get mushy during the blackout period. Reduce white intensity, yes but I would place rock in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Upvote 0

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackout means you cover the tank with trashbag or some plastic sheet to make it black out.

But the problem is, this stragity is mostly used on freshwater, and FOWLR systems.
There are some corals which will absolutely vent out on you and melt away and die if you do a blackout long enough to get rid of some algae.

Your anenome for one will get REALLY ticked OFF, and start moving around everywhere, possibly taking the entire tank with it as its looking for a spot.

Upvote 0
Back