acrylic or glass?

CJeffrey77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a tank upgrade now that i've finally bought a house. I have a couple of questions hopefully some of you can help me with. First off i'm trying to decide between a glass or acrylic tank. I have a glass tank right now & haven't ever dealt with an acrylic tank, ive been told though that acrylic is the way to go. What are your opinions & why? Also if I do decide to go acrylic i'm thinking of making one myself, I allready have the tools (tablesaws & stuff like that) that I would need I would just need a little direction on the actual building process. Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to making a decision, check out an aquarium built with a Starfire glass front. Starfire is a high grade glass with very little iron so there isn’t that green tint regular glass has, so it looks clear like acrylic without the tendency to scratch as easily.

OP
OP
C

CJeffrey77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind if I ask why you don't like the acrylic tanks? I also heard if you have a scratch in acrylic that you can buff out the scratch. By the way whats the difference in cleaning them? I know there's some diff just not sure what. I just use a good ole razor blade to clean my glass tank. I will check into the Starfire glass thanks for any input you guys can give. In my opinion it's gonna be quite a bit of money either way & I want to do it right so that I don't end up not liking my new tank.

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Acrylic Tank. I like it well enough. The price was right, Its super clear, I just have to be careful when cleaning it. I use a Magfloat that never comes within 2" of the sandbed. I use one of the plastic Kent razor blade thingys and an acrylic safe scrubby pad.
Basically, if your a little lazy on the maintenance end, go for a glass tank.
If you want a lower cost, superclear higher maintenance tank, get acrylic.
PLUS acrylic is waaay easier to mod and drill holes in.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to making a decision, check out an aquarium built with a Starfire glass front. Starfire is a high grade glass with very little iron so there isn’t that green tint regular glass has, so it looks clear like acrylic without the tendency to scratch as easily.

But, its down right EXPENSIVE....:)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high iron count in normal glass is what gives it's durability and lack of scratching easy....Starfire is nice stuff though, I like acrylic myself the lightness of it and the ease of modding it....

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going to vote for GLASS, depending on the size also? I have acrylic and after awhile I am just not carful enough for acrylic, just my 2 cents?

OP
OP
C

CJeffrey77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of your input, i'm still not sure which one i'm going to go with. Someone asked about the size, it's gonna be 180 gal probably. So from the sounds of it the acrylic is harder to clean w/o scratching it. The guy at the local fs where I go has all acrylic tanks in his store & he also builds them. The tanks in his store are always really clean & nice looking, that's what made me start looking into acrylic. I know I priced one through him & it was double the cost of a 180 all glass w/tank stand & hood & predrilled. Are they half the price of glass if you build them yourself or something?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 77 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.7%
Back