Anyone have advice for me I am going to start maintaining a schools tanks.

Gabrielaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering from more experienced people what I should do I have a baisic idea because I have been in the hobby for 4 years now but maybe other people can help me out. Thanks in advance guys

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coworker who has been helping with a school tank. She said that she can’t get into the building on weekends because she doesn’t have a key.

I would plan to automate top off water and get help with water changes to make the job easier and keep the parameters healthy.

OP
OP
Gabrielaquatics

Gabrielaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coworker who has been helping with a school tank. She said that she can’t get into the building on weekends because she doesn’t have a key.

I would plan to automate top off water and get help with water changes to make the job easier and keep the parameters healthy.
I have a key to get in

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a key to get in
I agree, I’ve helped with many school tanks over the years and holiday / weekend access can be a challenge. Another issue we had was a school that turned their thermostats down to 55 f on weekends in the winter to save energy. Another risk is kids messing with the tank.

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on the school and district. You may have to get clearances if you don’t already. Are you going to be paid to do it? Is it just you? Is the tank setup already? I ask because not all schools have budgets for it and often it may run out of the teacher’s own pockets or charity funds etc. I have found it to be a lot more time and work than it’s worth especially since I wasn’t being paid. And often it needs more than just after hours access unless you have an extremely dedicated staff member or teacher who knows saltwater aquariums already. For me I handed my duties over to someone else entirely but for me it was a time thing. I simply could not be there as much as I thought I would. As others have said access and room temperatures especially in the summer can be an issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gabrielaquatics

Gabrielaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I’ve helped with many school tanks over the years and holiday / weekend access can be a challenge. Another issue we had was a school that turned their thermostats down to 55 f on weekends in the winter to save energy. Another risk is kids messing with the tank.
Yeah we are in Jacksonville Florida so the temp is usually at 75 all year

OP
OP
Gabrielaquatics

Gabrielaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the school and district. You may have to get clearances if you don’t already. Are you going to be paid to do it? Is it just you? Is the tank setup already? I ask because not all schools have budgets for it and often it may run out of the teacher’s own pockets or charity funds etc. I have found it to be a lot more time and work than it’s worth especially since I wasn’t being paid. And often it needs more than just after hours access unless you have an extremely dedicated staff member or teacher who knows saltwater aquariums already. For me I handed my duties over to someone else entirely but for me it was a time thing. I simply could not be there as much as I thought I would. As others have said access and room temperatures especially in the summer can be an issue.
Yeah I am getting paid and I am by myself for now I have a buddy who is helping me out. And I have accesss to the school anytime I am friends with the owners .

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we are in Jacksonville Florida so the temp is usually at 75 all year

You may want to use a logging thermometer, just to ensure they don't turn the air off on weekends. Many schools have weekend programs, and so will run the HVAC all of the time, but just watch for issues.

Back