Are Butterflyfish in reef tanks misunderstood?

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I made a post asking if there were any butterflyfish in the genus Chaetodon that were safe with coral. I've read many posts about some of my favorite species like the Klein's, Threadfin, Bluelashed, Latticed and Raccoon, where one was added and soon enough coral was eaten. Now I'm wondering are we going about adding butterflyfish the wrong way?

It's obvious a small frag would be a quick snack for a chaetodon butterflyfish but what if instead of a reef packed with tons of smaller colonies, there were only a few colonies of coral where each was the size of your head or larger? Basically colonies so large they would dwarf the butterflyfish.

So for an example question let's say a 300 gallon with monster sized colonies of acropora, stylophora, porites, montipora, seriatopora and sarcophyton. A pair of threadfin butterflyfish are added and you feed 4-5 times a day. Assuming even with multiple daily feedings they just can't resist snacking on coral, but in this case the coral is so large they barely put a dent and the coral can recover. Will they still end up decimating the colonies even if they are massive?

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back