OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't actually get the point (effort) of thawing frozen food.
Personally, I just crunch up a frozen chunk (usually LRS) with a knife, quick mix in little cup of tank water, and dump it in.
*maybe I'm missing something
Time, I want to feed the frozen cuz they go crazy for it but time to thaw I don't have so you pre-thaw.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time, I want to feed the frozen cuz they go crazy for it but time to thaw I don't have so you pre-thaw.
I was trying to say that I don't thaw frozen food at all.
It thaws quickly when I dump it in the tank at feeding time. (I guess that's the part I don't understand about people taking the time to thaw frozen food in advance)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey, so I have used regular rods and my fish loved it, switched to reef frenzy and my fish love it. I ran out and wonder what to buy next. I have 2 clowns, 2 purple tangs, melanarus wrasse, and yellow watchmen goby. What type of frozen is a like bullet proof option and freshest option? I am setting up a new tank and want to stick with one frozen, but my thing is my fish love the food but everyone who opens my fridge hates it. I thaw out a chunk and use it for like 3-4 days and it STINKS my fridge up, is this normal should I only be thawing for feeding for the day? If so is there a good clean option for cubes?
It can especially my favorite LRS foods but I cover the little container with saran wrap which reduces smell to nothing

maethuu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are pros and cons to each brand. I feed 90% frozen and I use hikari mysis, hikari eggs, homemade diy clams mussels osyters, pe mysis, lrs regular and herbivore, and rods regular and herbivore.
I like to give my fish a lot of variety.

I find that the san francisco brand has too many ingredients but for some reason it's mostly the only brand I can find locally.

I thaw what I decide to feed in a pill box with three plastic removable containers I got off amazon and feed 3 - 4x a day alternating between the containers and put it in the fridge when done. No smell but if I do start to get a smell then that's when I know the foods gone bad but I usually feed it all before it goes bad since the containers are pretty small and I feed a lot.

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop cube in the return chamber and as they melt the food goes up into the tank, seems to work. I also have a pellet drop every morning that is on an auto feeder they know both are coming and where they come from lol.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put frozen mysis into a catchup bottle with fresh mixed salt water from my mixing station and use it for 3-4 days ( refrigerated of course ) and my fish are super healthy ( some going on 5 years old ) - I know some amino acids do break down but this makes feeding so much easier as I only have to batch every few days

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the premise that one should only thaw out enough food for a day is making irrelevant conclusions based on how we prefer to have our food prepared.

I thaw out enough frozen to feed the fish for a week.

I use this Hikari, speciallythese 4:

20240520_200150.jpg

I use my wetsaw to cut the frozen sheets into strips and take 4 strips (one of each) and thaw it into a mason jar.

As for the smell, I use to keep the fish food in the main refrigerator, but like most of us, the family constantly complained. Now, I keep it in it's own tiny fridge that only geta openes when its time to feed. I think ita relevant to also add that I squirt in selcon and vitachem to the thawed mixture and the fish are always swarming at the top when it's time to eat.

As for copper bands, I have 2, and they are always pushing their way to the top of the tank to get the food directly off the spoon.

My current tank just passed its 6 year anniversary and I've been doing this since day 1.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the premise that one should only thaw out enough food for a day is making irrelevant conclusions based on how we prefer to have our food prepared.

I thaw out enough frozen to feed the fish for a week.

I use this Hikari, speciallythese 4:

20240520_200150.jpg

I use my wetsaw to cut the frozen sheets into strips and take 4 strips (one of each) and thaw it into a mason jar.

As for the smell, I use to keep the fish food in the main refrigerator, but like most of us, the family constantly complained. Now, I keep it in it's own tiny fridge that only geta openes when its time to feed. I think ita relevant to also add that I squirt in selcon and vitachem to the thawed mixture and the fish are always swarming at the top when it's time to eat.

As for copper bands, I have 2, and they are always pushing their way to the top of the tank to get the food directly off the spoon.

My current tank just passed its 6 year anniversary and I've been doing this since day 1.
Agree, the idea you should only feed frozen just recently thawed is nonsense.

I make up squeeze bottles of LRS+Rods+RODI that last 4-5 days at a time. I give the fish a squirt 3-5 times per day. My fish are fat and healthy and SPS are thriving.

IMG_1560.jpeg

I have a CBB too:
IMG_1391.jpeg

teaktoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I have used regular rods and my fish loved it, switched to reef frenzy and my fish love it. I ran out and wonder what to buy next. I have 2 clowns, 2 purple tangs, melanarus wrasse, and yellow watchmen goby. What type of frozen is a like bullet proof option and freshest option? I am setting up a new tank and want to stick with one frozen, but my thing is my fish love the food but everyone who opens my fridge hates it. I thaw out a chunk and use it for like 3-4 days and it STINKS my fridge up, is this normal should I only be thawing for feeding for the day? If so is there a good clean option for cubes?
SFB combo pack cubes, one or two each per day thawed in a wide double shot glass filled with a phytoplankton mix. Sometimes I use a larger mason pint full of phyto mix and a cube or two thawed in it. As soon as the cubes can be separated, I feed. If only half gets the job done with plenty of left-overs, I simply place the shot glass or pint back into the freezer and thaw the next day. Stays fresh-smelling and still appreciated.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish and me but mainly my fish are huge fans of San Francisco Bay Brand and even more of Tropic Marine Centre and Nutramar which is only sold to companies like Petco by Quality Marine and not direct to consumers. And I only thaw a small portion of the frozen cubes in the tank and put the rest back in the freezers. One cube last me a good 2-3 feeds.

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a shredder on frozen shrimp and scallops. I let them thaw after shredding and dose with selcon and vita-chem then store in pint sized wide mouth mason jars. Also thaw in the fridge several days worth PE mysis and brine in that type of jar too. By far the food they prefer is the frozen I make plus it's the least expensive per pound.

dwarfseahorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to say that I don't thaw frozen food at all.
It thaws quickly when I dump it in the tank at feeding time. (I guess that's the part I don't understand about people taking the time to thaw frozen food in advance)
I use to think it was the greatest way to feed also, especially since many of the frozen packets say you can feed as it is (frozen). Then I got some different fish and it killed them within 15 minutes of eating it, which I had to assume was because it was just to cold for them. From then on I always thaw it in a little bit of tank water first.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mainly SanFracisco brand with good result
Marine Cuisine
Spirulina Brine Shrimp
Emerald Entree
Mysis shrimp
Mix of clowns, cardinals , a tang , Foxface , a couple wrasses, jawfish, hectors goby

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are pressed for time or just don’t like to wait for food to thaw -

There are frozen food feeders.

I got one that was 3D printed from Etsy. It’s also called a mushroom cage. (I guess to keep wild mushrooms from floating around)

I’ve also used it to put snails that can’t flip themselves over in and they crawl out on their own.

Back