Brown Jelly Disease - Goniopora help.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 or so weeks ago, I bought a beautiful Goniopora at a pretty reputable lfs here in Arizona. It appeared to be very full and healthy. $100 later, I’m at home acclimating the coral and placing it on the bottom of my tank, setting in the sand. I’ve successfully had gonis in the past thriving and growing on the sandbed. For the past two weeks the coral looked good overall. Three days ago I noticed a small section of the coral skeleton exposed in the center of the coral. A small amount of coral tissue was separated from the skeleton as well. How and when that got there, I don’t know. Two nights ago I noticed 2 pea sized chunks of brown jelly. I immediately syphoned them off with a turkey baster.
Today I’m wondering exactly what I should do.
1. Will it heal itself with time?
2. Should I dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide?
3. Should I get rid of it?
4. Your experience and success with this issue is my next move. Thanks.
IMG_4640.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 or so weeks ago, I bought a beautiful Goniopora at a pretty reputable lfs here in Arizona. It appeared to be very full and healthy. $100 later, I’m at home acclimating the coral and placing it on the bottom of my tank, setting in the sand. I’ve successfully had gonis in the past thriving and growing on the sandbed. For the past two weeks the coral looked good overall. Three days ago I noticed a small section of the coral skeleton exposed in the center of the coral. A small amount of coral tissue was separated from the skeleton as well. How and when that got there, I don’t know. Two nights ago I noticed 2 pea sized chunks of brown jelly. I immediately syphoned them off with a turkey baster.
Today I’m wondering exactly what I should do.
1. Will it heal itself with time?
2. Should I dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide?
3. Should I get rid of it?
4. Your experience and success with this issue is my next move. Thanks.
IMG_4640.jpeg
I’d dip it and also move it off of the sand. You’ve not lost enough of the coral to lose it altogether yet.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon experience with corals is seems like something might be nipping at this coral?

Look for the thread experimenting with BJD and CIPRO treatments. My experience with BJD has been limited because once I learned how to treat I reacted quickly (immediately) with CIPRO and nipped the disease in the bud. Never had any luck dipping iodine or other treatments, but a CIPRO dip would be the weakest response I would try if I wanted to save this coral and other lps in my system. GL.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon experience with corals is seems like something might be nipping at this coral?

Look for the thread experimenting with BJD and CIPRO treatments. My experience with BJD has been limited because once I learned how to treat I reacted quickly (immediately) with CIPRO and nipped the disease in the bud. Never had any luck dipping iodine or other treatments, but a CIPRO dip would be the weakest response I would try if I wanted to save this coral and other lps in my system. GL.
Great advice. Thanks, I do want to save it. I’ll pick some up today.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it wasn't just number 2? BJD kills corals fast like 24 hours maybe 48 and is typically caused by very unbalanced tank parameters although coral stress from changing one tank to another can trigger also
Do the smell test BJD has a very foul odor.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it wasn't just number 2? BJD kills corals fast like 24 hours maybe 48 and is typically caused by very unbalanced tank parameters although coral stress from changing one tank to another can trigger also
Do the smell test BJD has a very foul odor.
Zoom in on photo, you’ll see a little still on the coral. And a couple of vacant skeletal holes.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree that cipro should be the way to go here. The Coral still has plenty of tissue so hopefully it can recover for you. For the cipro bath, a half hour using a small power head so that you get good contact time would be my recommendation.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that cipro should be the way to go here. The Coral still has plenty of tissue so hopefully it can recover for you. For the cipro bath, a half hour using a small power head so that you get good contact time would be my recommendation.
To be performed in tank water?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cipro can't be had in the USA with out prescription. At least that's my understanding

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro can't be had in the USA with out prescription. At least that's my understanding
I’m seeing that as well as I’m online trying to purchase. Argg! We have hydrogen peroxide in our medicine cabinet. Effective or not???

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m seeing that as well as I’m online trying to purchase. Argg! We have hydrogen peroxide in our medicine cabinet. Effective or not???

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dip it in hydrogen peroxide.

I would consider Brightwell Aquatics Lugol's Solution or Povidone-iodine (which is essentially the same thing - never dip without mixing with water I generally mix it so it looks a light tea color … this thread has a video that shows the color of the water)

Because the coral is already stressed I would find a way to lift it off the sand to keep the flesh from becoming irritated.

@steveschuerger or @VintageReefer
Might have something to add

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever happened with this? @Glenner’sreef
So I took it out of the tank for fear of it spreading to other Euphillias. And upon examining it found more damaged tissue. I disposed of it unfortunately. Three days ago I purchased a Red Goni. It’s doing fine!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took it out of the tank for fear of it spreading to other Euphillias. And upon examining it found more damaged tissue. I disposed of it unfortunately. Three days ago I purchased a Red Goni. It’s doing fine!
I have been battling bjd myself, which is why I asked. I have tried a bunch of dips and the red slime tank treatment nothing is helping. I think I brought it in with a nice sized frog spawn from a frag swap. I oxolinic acid dipped it and it looked good but at the swap it was barely open which is why I dipped it. It was the first to start loosing heads but not until I had it for around 2 weeks. I have tried to get cipro but I havent had luck. Friday I saw this post and @crazyfishmom reply so I ordered from there seems like the transaction went through hope they send it soon. I am going to do a tank treatment because dips are not stopping it so I am guessing its in the tank now or the dips are not strong enough.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling bjd myself, which is why I asked. I have tried a bunch of dips and the red slime tank treatment nothing is helping. I think I brought it in with a nice sized frog spawn from a frag swap. I oxolinic acid dipped it and it looked good but at the swap it was barely open which is why I dipped it. It was the first to start loosing heads but not until I had it for around 2 weeks. I have tried to get cipro but I havent had luck. Friday I saw this post and @crazyfishmom reply so I ordered from there seems like the transaction went through hope they send it soon. I am going to do a tank treatment because dips are not stopping it so I am guessing its in the tank now or the dips are not strong enough.
Iodine is said to be good for BJD.

Generally speaking though you want to remove the infected head as soon as you notice it.

Depending on what else you have in the tank I do not know if it’s the best idea to treat the entire tank with cipro. It may be better to remove all hammers/frogs to their own tank and treat this way.

Remember that due to our lights cipros half life in the water is reduced - it breaks down quicker.

Make sure to verify that all occupants of your tank can deal with cipro before dosing the entire tank. Make sure you have enough water to do the proper sized water change. You may also need to add an air stone to help keep O2 up in the tank….

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would not recommend to treat the entire tank with cipro unless you see a continued pattern of multiple euphyllia getting BJD. First line of attack for cipro treatment would be in a tank with fresh saltwater pre warmed and salinity matched to your main display and then transfer the affected pieces after you cut off the infected heads and treat there. Cipro will mess with most of the bacteria in your tank. If you suspect a major infection, then yes, this could help but I would definitely consider a more phased approach.

I also agreed with @Reefing_addiction that the half life of the drug needs to be considered. Usually for hospital tank treatment a 4 hr contact time would be good to start with.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend to treat the entire tank with cipro unless you see a continued pattern of multiple euphyllia getting BJD. First line of attack for cipro treatment would be in a tank with fresh saltwater pre warmed and salinity matched to your main display and then transfer the affected pieces after you cut off the infected heads and treat there. Cipro will mess with most of the bacteria in your tank. If you suspect a major infection, then yes, this could help but I would definitely consider a more phased approach.

I also agreed with @Reefing_addiction that the half life of the drug needs to be considered. Usually for hospital tank treatment a 4 hr contact time would be good to start with.
Iodine is said to be good for BJD.

Generally speaking though you want to remove the infected head as soon as you notice it.

Depending on what else you have in the tank I do not know if it’s the best idea to treat the entire tank with cipro. It may be better to remove all hammers/frogs to their own tank and treat this way.

Remember that due to our lights cipros half life in the water is reduced - it breaks down quicker.

Make sure to verify that all occupants of your tank can deal with cipro before dosing the entire tank. Make sure you have enough water to do the proper sized water change. You may also need to add an air stone to help keep O2 up in the tank….
Yeah, I'll have to go over the thread I saw again before I do anything. I always have at least 30g of heated saltwater on hand so I'll just make sure its full 50g. I have a large air pump I run in the fish room for my fresh tanks it will be no issue to run an airline or two to my reef. Iodine didnt work unfortunately. I have Iodine dip, oxolinic acid on hand and redslime remover (erythromycin). I tried a standard dip of iodine and a heavy dip, a standard 10ppm dip of oxolinic acid and a dip of redslime and treating the tank with it also. Affected corals were fragged and put in a 10g holding 7g of water with a small powerhead for about an hour maybe not long enough.

Back