Can I use polypbooster to drop nutrients?

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates hover around 5, however my phosphates are at .35 and I’m dropping it slowly. Instead of burning through gfo or using phosphate e which sounds like it has some risk, I was wondering if I could use polypbooster without reef roids or reef chili to encourage my corals to consume nutrients. Would this work?

Or rather, is there any reason this would cause harm simply trying it out?

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polybooster is a enhancer for corals to take food. It's not a food by itself. Also .35 is not high high. Don't chase the numbers. My mixed is running at .5 phosphate. It's doesn't hurt. Lowering will hurt especially running a gfo will strip making sps to suffer.

I would rather leave it. Just ensure yo don't do Reefroids and other often and just do biweekly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polypbooster will add a source of N (as amino acids) and give an organic carbon dosing effect. But I'm not sure your N is low enough for that to make much difference in the phosphate level unless with add a large amount and drive nitrate substantially higher.

OP
OP
S

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polypbooster will add a source of N (as amino acids) and give an organic carbon dosing effect. But I'm not sure your N is low enough for that to make much difference in the phosphate level unless with add a large amount and drive nitrate substantially higher.
I appreciate the advice. Could I add something like nitrate+ or would it be better and safer to just let it fall on its own? I already adjusted feeding to make sure it doesn’t happen again, I’m just trying to get rid of what’s there.

OP
OP
S

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which product are you referring to?
Nyos nitrate+

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos nitrate+

I'm not sure if that is actually nitrate or some other chemical, but I do not think the effect on phosphate consumption will be any different than dosing ammonia or nitrate.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates hover around 5, however my phosphates are at .35 and I’m dropping it slowly. Instead of burning through gfo or using phosphate e which sounds like it has some risk, I was wondering if I could use polypbooster without reef roids or reef chili to encourage my corals to consume nutrients. Would this work?

Or rather, is there any reason this would cause harm simply trying it out?
Make your life simple and continue using GFO.

OP
OP
S

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if that is actually nitrate or some other chemical, but I do not think the effect on phosphate consumption will be any different than dosing ammonia or nitrate.
Thank you for the help. I’ll probably just use phosphate e at 1/3 dose.
Make your life simple and continue using GFO.
The problem with this is it’s a larger aquarium, roughly 250g. The amount of gfo I have to use makes that a super expensive idea. But I do have gfo on hand and may just accept the higher cost of reducing phosphates.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back