Didn’t even think twice… used RODI for KCL spray…

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title goes. Made KCL spray treatment for AEFW/red begs potassium p by Brightwell. After researching for 2 weeks and biting the bullet, I made my concoction.

2 g of potassium P for 1 liter of RODI….. NOT fresh tank water. Didn’t even think twice, didn’t even cross my mind! Been in and out of the hobby for 18 years. I have never done something this moronic. I even keep my bedroom windows open at night year-round to keep my pH high (SoCal). Yet, this goes to show mistakes happen when you don’t think twice and double check EVERYTHING even the smallest most basic thing any sps keeper knows which is:

- Stability, all sps especially acros in particular don’t like quick fluctuations in salinity and to never dip acros in freshwater/RODI. -

I realized this after turning lights back on and returns/power heads etc. Popped into my head like a shower thought about forgetting to take the cake out of the oven. Corals have a decent slime coat as of right now and only corals who were not so happy have any tissue burnt. Replaced my carbon at about twice what I normally do and put my powerheads on high to blow off the mixture and allow the corals to breathe normally without the mixture. No skin bubbling or mass slothing off. Only tissue visible tissue harm is on 5/25 acros. Makes me feel so guilty, I love these guys. I guess I should be glad I still have any.

Below are some other details
Tank 30 gallon IM
Lighting 2 blade grow
Flow: Nero 3, mp10
Alk: 7.8-8.2
Temp: 77
Fish: only 2 currently, sailfin Molly and a Talbots damsel.

5CA3B789-69AA-486A-A581-DADC1019D2FE.jpeg CCC94320-BF70-4192-9C1F-A1FFA7D5C306.jpeg

After

Shows how different 2 corals reactions can be BC: joker 2.0 slothing off some tissue. And a seemingly unphased Oregon tort whose polyps are extending 15 minutes after water is back.
E554070C-9C4C-40F7-BD77-A734A98C0B39.jpeg

2CCD3D62-512D-4DAB-9457-EB75A3DC4536.jpeg
sure deaths: BC pink flamingo and a green dragon (wwc?)

Lastly, hello I’m ParisByNight I started my first reef (8 gallon bio cube) back in the reef central days when I was 10 years old, had more tanks afterward then stopped. I came back to the hobby in 2020 after still thinking about it all day long. At least, my first thread can be a reminder of what not to do and an example for the future. Any advice is more than appreciated. In the morning I’ll post the updates.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you didn't use it as a dip. I think a spray will be more survivable than a dip would have been. High hopes for your update.

OP
OP
Paris by Night

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update as of today, polyp extension is back to normal on almost everybody who made it. Seems that those who reacted the poorest such as Porites, birdsnest and couple smoothskins are opening what little tissue they do have left.

Interesting thing to note: the most freshwater/hyposalinity sensitive corals were my 2 types of yellow Porites. A yellow encruster from tidal gardens whose tissue turned brown almost instantly and then dusted off :(. Then my ORA branching yellow, who just has some spots of damage. This is especially heartbreaking as my favorite family of corals are Porites.. I took pride in how banana-like they were. Ah well.

194B5312-1D8A-4860-B326-4295F2EA27E8.jpeg

My tank grown feather dusters are fully extended meaning my nutrients haven’t spiked (still 2-5ppm nitrate), same with no detection of any ammonia.

67F804E5-FCBA-4154-B48B-1A0D5B17AD8B.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back