FLUVAL EVO 5 GAL

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grabbed a Fluval evo 5 gal and been trying to navigate the whole pump/wavemaker mine field. All the recommended upgrade pumps are discontinued and I can't find a replacement for the life of me that would allow me to not need a wavemaker. Does anyone know of something in today's day and age that would work? Ideally I'd like to have enough power to run a split output nozzle with 2 random current generators. Here is my tank currently.

20230525_202149.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have that tank, but you may want to look at the Sicce .5. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grabbed a Fluval evo 5 gal and been trying to navigate the whole pump/wavemaker mine field. All the recommended upgrade pumps are discontinued and I can't find a replacement for the life of me that would allow me to not need a wavemaker. Does anyone know of something in today's day and age that would work? Ideally I'd like to have enough power to run a split output nozzle with 2 random current generators. Here is my tank currently.

20230525_202149.jpg
Nice tank!

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have that tank, but you may want to look at the Sicce .5. Good luck with whatever you choose!
The sicce 0.5 is too big. The pump chamber is 56.6mm X 49.9mm so the pump needs to fit in that tiny "square". I've yet to find a pump that has that footprint.

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have loads of fun with this reef!.

I had it about three years ago and was able to keep it successfully; back then I used the Tunze Nano Stream, it worked great, but it was overkill…. I’m now running the EVO 13 with a Hydor Kiralia Aquamai on the LPS/Soft coral Max 50L setting, it should work great on the EVO 5. As far as the main pump the Cobalt MJ Mini 606 will work great as you can regulate the flow.

Here is a link on my EVO 5 build, if I can help im any way just holler

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had it about three years ago and was able to keep it successfully; back then I used the Tunze Nano Stream, it worked great, but it was overkill…. I’m now running the EVO 13 with a
Hydor Kiralia Aquamai on the LPS/Soft coral Max 50L setting, it should work great on the EVO 5.

Ah yes! I did find your build and loved it! You did a great job. Sadly I can't find the mn606 anymore as I wanted to use a similar or same output nozzle that you did. I'd prefer to stay away from a wavemaker if possible but it's looking more and more like I will need to get one. In a perfect world I'd find a pump that could run two nozzles with random current generators attached.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had it about three years ago and was able to keep it successfully; back then I used the Tunze Nano Stream, it worked great, but it was overkill…. I’m now running the EVO 13 with a Hydor Kiralia Aquamai on the LPS/Soft coral Max 50L setting, it should work great on the EVO 5. As far as the main pump the Cobalt MJ Mini 606 will work great as you can regulate the flow.

Your link doesn't work to the wavemaker :(

juanrmattos

- Frag Plug Hater -
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes! I did find your build and loved it! You did a great job. Sadly I can't find the mn606 anymore as I wanted to use a similar or same output nozzle that you did. I'd prefer to stay away from a wavemaker if possible but it's looking more and more like I will need to get one. In a perfect world I'd find a pump that could run two nozzles with random current generators attached.
You don’t need a pump, just a splitter after the bulkhead, Eheim also has a good nano pump

I edited the message with the amazon link

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a pump, just a splitter after the bulkhead, Eheim also has a good nano pump
The 80gph hour pump on there is not adequate enough for a splitter or for random current generator nozzles. Problem is finding a pump that fits in the pump chamber on the 5 gallon

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I'm fighting the urge to purchase one of these for my 2nd tank. How is everything running so far?

Netotek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome!
What heater are you using? I got my EVO 5G off marketplace and the heater need to be replaced. If I put it in the return chamber with the pump it wont heat the water enough, and if I put it in the display area, the lid can't close and evaporation is crazy.

OP
OP
Norcoreefer

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome!
What heater are you using? I got my EVO 5G off marketplace and the heater need to be replaced. If I put it in the return chamber with the pump it wont heat the water enough, and if I put it in the display area, the lid can't close and evaporation is crazy.
Thanks.
Cascade Heat 10 gallon heater and a modified sicce micraplus pump all in the pump chamber and tank keeps very stable for temp.

Attachments

• 16871315425553766842115087584472.jpg
    16871315425553766842115087584472.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 36

soreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the syncra nano in a 4 gallon pico. It’s not a whole lot more powerful but it’s a decent pump for small chambers.

Back