Ground Probe?

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to install a ground probe for stray current, does it half to go in the display or can I put a n the sump?

Reefer Matt

Just a Hobbyist That Cares
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either. Make sure to only install it if using a gfci outlet or plug. That probe will create a hard path to ground. If something shorts out in the tank, it will electrify it with just a probe. A gfci will shut off the power in that case.

OP
OP
Chrisz

Chrisz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either. Make sure to only install it if using a gfci outlet or plug. That probe will create a hard path to ground. If something shorts out in the tank, it will electrify it with just a probe. A gfci will shut off the power in that case.
Ok good point. I do have my outlets all on GFI but all the same circuit, not sure I want to shut off the entire tank. How does everyone use the ground probes?

Reefer Matt

Just a Hobbyist That Cares
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good point. I do have my outlets all on GFI but all the same circuit, not sure I want to shut off the entire tank
If the gfci trips, it is because something is causing a short. You can find it by unplugging one thing at a time while resetting the gfci. I know we all don’t want our tanks tripping off, but our lives and those around us are worth more than an aquarium. I have five tanks on separate gfci circuits and ground probes. None have ever kept tripping the tanks off without a cause. Usually my carelessness cleaning the tanks does it if unplugging things. But a very rare occurrence.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t use a ground probe without gfci. Especially if you have halides on magnetic ballasts. Also never a bad idea to ground your reflectors

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 51.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back