Hello from Johannesburg (and setup advice!)

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Longnose Hawkfish are really great fish and in general pretty mellow toward other fish. A clown would be fine, but like stated, they can be first class jerks. Even biting you when you work in the tank. Cardinals should be no problem. The Jawfish I'm less sure about. I have had a Flame Hawkfish and a Pearly Jawfish get into it in a smallish tank (40 gallon). In a 75 gallon or larger I would say no problem, smaller than that I would say 'with caution'. They would probably be fine but if they both claim the same area...

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, I have just purchased my first tank and am building the aquascape--excited to get started! I am from Phoenix AZ, but have been living in Johannesburg. I have a 26gal Peninsula cube (and Caribsea Special aragonite sand). For sure want to add some mixed corals (eventually), a tuxedo urchin (6months) and a longnose hawkfish. Am having a hard time deciding on another 1-2 fish to add, and in what order...I can read the compatibility charts, but it seems that somebody has a bad experience with every fish lol...Should I just add 2 clowns and be done? 1 clown, 1 cardinal, and hawkfish? Would a jawfish work? TIA!
Keep in mind with the long nose hawkfish, you can never add any Shrimps.

I can see the hawkfish, the clowns, but the cardinal I’d change to a Royal Gramma, might to to busy for the cardinal.

The Jawfish, yup I think that works too.

Welcome to the reef!

Enjoy!

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind with the long nose hawkfish, you can never add any Shrimps.

I can see the hawkfish, the clowns, but the cardinal I’d change to a Royal Gramma, might to to busy for the cardinal.

The Jawfish, yup I think that works too.

Welcome to the reef!

Enjoy!
Ok, thanks! Was going to steer away from shrimps and crabs, since I've read they can be jerks to coral haha.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm ok...what fish do you enjoy keeping instead? They're so common I can hardly imagine a tank without one XD
I do have 4 of them total. Separate tanks. Didn’t say I didn’t enjoy them. But they are jerks. I like tangs. Chromis filefish anthesis

Back