Help ID this nuisance calcified algae - how to rid my tank of it?

patriot dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this strange calcium like macro algae recently return, it was nearly gone and I can't say what changed to allow it return in force. The only change I can recall is that I did a decent water change and it seems significantly worse since then. I rarely do any water change. What eats this stuff? My phosphates and nitrates are zero and I only feed one cube daily of Hikari spirulina brine shrimp or Mega-Marine Algae, nothing else, no other added nutrients. I dose only B-Ionic #1 and #2 and Red Sea NO3Po4X and have not changed either recently. I grow plenty of macro algae in my refugium and run a Tunze 9415 Skimmer on my CADE 1500

Does anything eat this stuff? Can anyone recommend how I can better control it naturally?

IMG_3251.JPG IMG_3254.JPG IMG_3255.JPG

OP
OP
P

patriot dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is helpful. My iphone is very old and doesn't process blue light well.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3262.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3263.JPG
    IMG_3263.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 14

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this is helpful. My iphone is very old and doesn't process blue light well.
Yes, looks like green cualerpa algae but if you are specifically talking about some of the white calcium on the branches then I wonder about your iron levels along with your bottomed out nutrients allowing some type of algae to attack the macro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

patriot dude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be amazing and good, I'm concerned it is something worse like this.....

Attach files

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be amazing and good, I'm concerned it is something worse like this.....

Attach files
You could be right. Strong resemblance in the first link to finger algae.

Back