Help, white spots and what would look like an ant bite on a human.

t.mehoves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory, I’ve had my purple tang which is in same tank for 5 months and some change. I never really saw anything on him but he was always in the current and zipping around. I was told and thought flukes as he was possibly scratching himself. I have done 3 rounds of prazipro 8 days apart twice in this time period. Wording might be confusing so I will say I have done 3 rounds 8 days apart. Waited about a month or so and then did it again out of panic that I didn’t break fluke cycle. I then thought and read maybe he’s just adhd and loves to zip everywhere.

I saw something Sunday on purple tang that looked like a couple white dots. I was unsure if sand or air bubble so looked next day (Monday ). There looked to be a few more and I thought I could see something on powder blue tang. I dosed with prazipro again as that’s all I had. Tuesday I went to the nearest fish store 2 hrs away to get treatment for ich as I was starting to lean that way. All they had with current circumstances of a sand sithing starfish and decorative crab in tank was ich x saltwater. I was told it was best option as I couldn’t get copper reader (other than api, no thanks) and that I wouldn’t have to move inverts out of that tank. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank up and running for 6 months now with emerald crabs, obviously too small for 2 tangs.

When I got home Tuesday afternoon, I could no longer see anything on either one and I was leaving to go out of town Wednesday to Friday so would be unable to ich x every 24 hrs due to that. I got home last night and saw nothing on purple tang but plus powder has bumps (like a tiny ant bite) and in picture I can see white spots. I dozed tank with ich x. So this is where I am at the moment.

What is this?

IMG_4165.png IMG_4164.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Backstory, I’ve had my purple tang which is in same tank for 5 months and some change. I never really saw anything on him but he was always in the current and zipping around. I was told and thought flukes as he was possibly scratching himself. I have done 3 rounds of prazipro 8 days apart twice in this time period. Wording might be confusing so I will say I have done 3 rounds 8 days apart. Waited about a month or so and then did it again out of panic that I didn’t break fluke cycle. I then thought and read maybe he’s just adhd and loves to zip everywhere.

I saw something Sunday on purple tang that looked like a couple white dots. I was unsure if sand or air bubble so looked next day (Monday ). There looked to be a few more and I thought I could see something on powder blue tang. I dosed with prazipro again as that’s all I had. Tuesday I went to the nearest fish store 2 hrs away to get treatment for ich as I was starting to lean that way. All they had with current circumstances of a sand sithing starfish and decorative crab in tank was ich x saltwater. I was told it was best option as I couldn’t get copper reader (other than api, no thanks) and that I wouldn’t have to move inverts out of that tank. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank up and running for 6 months now with emerald crabs, obviously too small for 2 tangs.

When I got home Tuesday afternoon, I could no longer see anything on either one and I was leaving to go out of town Wednesday to Friday so would be unable to ich x every 24 hrs due to that. I got home last night and saw nothing on purple tang but plus powder has bumps (like a tiny ant bite) and in picture I can see white spots. I dozed tank with ich x. So this is where I am at the moment.

What is this?

IMG_4165.png IMG_4164.png
Fish has ich and is susceptible to ich and will need proper protocol for treatment which is a separate quarantine tank using either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Other fish may not show signs but are exposed and may too become infected,

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back