How to optimize pod production in refugium

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g mixed reef display, 40 breeder sump/refugium, about 2/3 of that contains live rock (the other 1/3 is the skimmer/return pump/probes/reactor chamber -- separated by a baffle). The LR refugium used to be lighted for macroalgae export, but I switched to a sulfur reactor for nitrate control about 10 years ago.

I'd like to put that LR section to more use and try to encourage pods and other food sources and just increase biodiversity (by having an area that isn't constantly grazed). I've ordered a Tunze Eco Chic light to get some photosynthetic life going down there, but would like input on how to increase production of planktonic organisms that might get returned to the DT (either through the pump, or by me shaking out the macroalgae into the DT, or whatever).

I'd also like to know if there are other 'foods' that could be cultured in such a refugium; putting a pair of cleaner shrimp in there came to mind, to exploit the periodic releases of larvae as a food source (I usually have a pair in the DT, and they breed from time to time). Maybe this particular idea is a bit bonkers, but something along those lines may have been tried, I don't know.

I've read about increasing surface area with various "pod hotel" sorts of structures/media, and I may toss some Matala down there. 'Miracle Mud' seems popular enough, but I don't know much about it (I do know, though, that a 'miracle' is really just something we don't understand scientifically yet ;) ) Other than that I don't know what the tricks might be. Any input welcome.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your biggest adversary to growing a large pod population is your skimmer. Almost all pods have 1 to 5 free swimming larva stage. A large portion are removed by the skimmer. Your best chance is tibs and amphipods as they tend to stay close to the bottom. Cleaner shrimp would probably consume more pods than they would release larva. I removed my skimmer 7 years ago to try an simulate the ocean. The result was an extreamly large number of plankton . I would say the thing that made the biggest difference besides removing the skimmer is feeding tet or iso phytoplankton.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video is the refugium of my new tank setup on 2-27-24.

Attachments

• 20240501_205928.mp4
    4.4 MB

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back