I did a complete numb nut newb thing and bought corals. I don't know what they are.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I ordered the Red Sea coral superfood or whatever they call it. It's the main label for red Sea coral food. but I am on the fence about whether I need to buy the red sea test kit for corals or other test kit or which one. Mainly I use red sea salt, I have a large bucket and that already has magnesium and I think they put the main minerals that are supposed to be in there already for coral. The red seat test kit tests magnesium, I believe phosphate and alkalinity. But I don't need to test alkalinity if I already have an API PH test kit right? I mean isn't allalinity test just a test of what the pH is? I need to test for phosphate? Do I need to test for calcium and magnesium if that's already in my salt mix? Thanks all! are these things I need to test for right away? PH is easy to test for, I just can't imagine that having a red sea salt mix magnesium or calcium would be low. I could see where phosphates could get high. IDK
What salt is it? The coral pro? I used to use RS coral pro. Wayyy to many nutrients and elements in the salt combined with my tap water filtered through RO. Corals did awful with it, I then switched to a different salt and corals are so much happier. Point being yes most would say you do need to test because you could have way to high elements with the coral pro salt and not know it like I did. And I use red sea test kits because I like the basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph testers with that brand

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt is it? The coral pro? I used to use RS coral pro. Wayyy to many nutrients and elements in the salt combined with my tap water filtered through RO. Corals did awful with it, I then switched to a different salt and corals are so much happier. Point being yes most would say you do need to test because you could have way to high elements with the coral pro salt and not know it like I did. And I use red sea test kits because I like the basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph testers with that brand
seriously? I have a whole bucket of that salt. They gave it to me as a throw in because it took like two months to get my order and they felt bad I guess so do others agree that I should stop using the red sea coral pro?

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seriously? I have a whole bucket of that salt. They gave it to me as a throw in because it took like two months to get my order and they felt bad I guess so do others agree that I should stop using the red sea coral pro?
Not saying change salts. Saying test your water parameters so you know IF you are having the same issue with high elements, high nutrients. You won’t know if you don’t test. I test mine at least weekly (with my water change) and usually a day or two ahead of the water change just to see how things are holding up.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder why I've never seen it on here or seen it used in person

These are the most recent few here. There are lots of older ones. Other forums have plenty of discussion too.

I recall Melafix dips becoming popular around the time when Interceptor was the hot new idea (but we were still using power compact CFLs -- was a weird era). Mid 2000s, maybe? But maybe that's just when I first heard about it. Worked at an LFS around then with a guy who was Melafix crazy -- thought it could cure anything. It did get a bunch of creepy crawlies off coral, though.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told it's crazy for waiting before six weeks to add any fish in my tank. but I waited 10 days and added two clowns and the clowns have been happy as clams. Imagine that . I guess I better buy some clam.
Lots of people use clowns to cycle or complete a cycle. Clowns are pretty good at surviving ammonia. Cycling with fish is a well known method. It’s been done for decades. You used Dr Tim’s and were pretty close to the end of the cycle IIRC. Some bottle bacteria direct you to dose the tank and add a fish immediately to complete the cycle.

Many people prefer not to cycle with fish because there is some evidence that it does cause harm even when it doesn’t cause death. Some people urged patience in that thread and encouraged waiting until you were clearing 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. Thats not the equivalent of saying it’s crazy. Adding fish to aid cycle has been done for decades. Imagine that.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people prefer not to cycle with fish because there is some evidence that it does cause harm even when it doesn’t cause death.

And this is why I would wait. They may live, but their comfort level is going to be diminished. I couldn't do it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that salt messed my tanks up, when I just set my reef tank up I used a different salt the LFS recommended and its way better. Been slowly changing my other tanks (they are fowlr because I couldnt keep corals) which I think might have been a combo of the salt and having a higher bioload fish wise in my big tank

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is why I would wait. They may live, but their comfort level is going to be diminished. I couldn't do it.
Oh, I fall in that waiting category myself. I survived my fractured ankle but I wouldn’t have wanted to walk around on it full weight bearing for someone’s entertainment. That may be a harsh analogy but it’s how I personally view it.
The way I read that portion of the post it seemed necessary that it be clarified that cycling with fish is not novel.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the most recent few here. There are lots of older ones. Other forums have plenty of discussion too.

I recall Melafix dips becoming popular around the time when Interceptor was the hot new idea (but we were still using power compact CFLs -- was a weird era). Mid 2000s, maybe? But maybe that's just when I first heard about it. Worked at an LFS around then with a guy who was Melafix crazy -- thought it could cure anything. It did get a bunch of creepy crawlies off coral, though.
Yup, also there was that "other" forum that everyone used before it died out prior to R2R that I am sure also had threads such as this.. I have heard people using Melafix but I dont think it is a common/popular.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, also there was that "other" forum that everyone used before it died out prior to R2R that I am sure also had threads such as this.. I have heard people using Melafix but I dont think it is a common/popular.
Melafix dipping gained popularity at that past time. I'm not claiming it is or is not, or should or should not be, popular currently. Pest problems differ during different time periods, based in part on which species/types are in vogue, sources of livestock and other other supply chain differences.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix dipping gained popularity at that past time. I'm not claiming it is or is not, or should or should not be, popular currently. Pest problems differ during different time periods, based in part on which species/types are in vogue, sources of livestock and other other supply chain differences.
I am agreeing with you also for that time frame Melaluca as a whole was really hitting its stride. That product had been avail for a long time.
I had recently bought the SC dip as I am now dipping pretty much everything I put in my tank. I was pretty unimpressed as it looked to be Iodine.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Nice looking decor. I don’t mind the plants and the fish don’t either. In future they won’t be needed but it seems you already know that

I was wondering how I can contribute and realized something to help. Your photos! Yes the iPhone sucks up blue light and makes horrible photos. You need an orange lens kit

Leave the blues cranked, clip this over your camera with the orange lens, and then take pics and enjoy the outcome

All these pics are with an iphone and the tank under blue with the lens. The sand and rock stay blue but the coral colors are corrected to match real life
CAED2554-ED3E-468F-B402-E5AEA909D25A.jpeg
7BCE34E0-B57B-454E-871A-4C557837478F.jpeg
30D9CF54-4C46-4EF8-8CC2-F981881FDE63.jpeg
0022B4F7-E499-4483-9BB0-752688458327.jpeg
E35C13DF-3A29-48FD-AA6C-9D5D3277DE67.jpeg
70B89770-56F9-4664-B68C-4591DD522E0E.jpeg
C7610986-C008-4EC3-A644-7CD669A84C42.jpeg
FA4A018A-0877-4781-8BEB-FD354BF65F17.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that salt messed my tanks up, when I just set my reef tank up I used a different salt the LFS recommended and its way better. Been slowly changing my other tanks (they are fowlr because I couldnt keep corals) which I think might have been a combo of the salt and having a higher bioload fish wise in my big tank
I actually have red sea blue bucket. I'm not sure if that's the same as the other label that users don't seem to have good success with.

ZoaGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an abundance of LED light available. I don't think the corals are being shaded by the decor and if they were, I could move them. I do not have too many fish for the size tank. I have 41 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump a protein skimmer,and a reef mat, plus a charcoal filter . I have two small fish, a fire fish , gobi plus two juv clowns. I've seen many many many more fish in tanks the size I have.
I have 14 fish in a 35 gallon all of which are over 10 years old and none ever fight all are healthy and I have no skimmer no media besides filter floss. Don’t listen to anyone saying you have to much fish.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question I have about LPS, most of my coral have nice fleshy skin around them, but my toastool lacks I think fleshy white skin. Is that a bad sign? versus like my Torch which has plenny a flesh. I hope the toadstool is not doomed!. I noticed a slight amount of white skin at the border of the stem to the live portion. But maybe these species are different.
BTW, the blue starfish I like to think act as live rock.

IMG_5545.jpeg IMG_5542.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back