Made my first batch of Fish Food

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
made my first batch of fish food. That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
It certainly didn't smell the kitchen up. I honestly didn't smell much at all. Maybe cause my meats were all frozen. Didn't give it a chance to thaw out.
But this recipe made me about 7 quart sized bags, not very thick. Haven't tried it yet, that'll be tomorrow.

Here's what I used:
Calanus
Brine Shrimp
Mysis Shrimp
Nori
1/2 lb Shrimp
1/2 lb Scallops
1/2 lb Tuna
Aminomega
Paracoccus
Selcon

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time do we eat?

When I used to do this I would lay the bag in a flat pan or cookie sheet and try to elevate the ziplock on the edge to keep the food from freezing in the ziprails. Is ziprail a word? Could score some serious Scrabble points with it.

You are too nice to your fish!
Three Amigos Tequila GIF

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High maintenance, spoiled brats are what they are.

We'll see how this food goes. If I change anything, I'll do strictly meats next time. Not sure how I feel about the dry foods and liquids. If I don't see physical results, then I'll stick to meats

CapeCoralDan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job, I've been making my own food for a while now. I've been using mini ice cube trays to freeze mine. Makes for easy feeding. I keep them in a plastic bin in the freezer full of cubes with a cover to keep the smell locked in. Just another way of doing it...

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I considered cubes as well. I currently feed the blister pack cubes, but I end up cutting them in 1/4's since I only have 4 fish. So the cubes don't really benefit me. I'll probably go that route when i get more fish. Then I can thaw and dump

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't tell if this batch of food was a fail or not. first night of feeding it, and they barely touched it (clowns, banggais, and the blenny. they may have taken a bite here and there but they certainly didn't get excited over it. what the heck! they are looking for something specific, obviously. but its not like this food is lacking protein.

I need to get CUC's in this tank, at least they'd appreciate the meats

ALL the food, including freeze dried, and frozen, went through the food processor. made into rice grain size. definitely edible and not mush or microscopic

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't tell if this batch of food was a fail or not. first night of feeding it, and they barely touched it (clowns, banggais, and the blenny. they may have taken a bite here and there but they certainly didn't get excited over it. what the heck! they are looking for something specific, obviously. but its not like this food is lacking protein.

I need to get CUC's in this tank, at least they'd appreciate the meats

ALL the food, including freeze dried, and frozen, went through the food processor. made into rice grain size. definitely edible and not mush or microscopic
They were suspicious that you were poisoning them with the new food items. Strange food, with such delicacies always raises an yellow alert reaction among captives. Once they get used to it, they will be all over it.

Ironically, it may be too chunky/meaty for them. Also, tuna are usually the predator that they need to avoid. They may have been scared from the scent?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were suspicious that you were poisoning them with the new food items. Strange food, with such delicacies always raises an yellow alert reaction among captives. Once they get used to it, they will be all over it.

Ironically, it may be too chunky/meaty for them. Also, tuna are usually the predator that they need to avoid. They may have been scared from the scent?
I THINK that may have been the case. I fed it tonight, and they seemed to go after it a lot faster. The Banggais were being a little picky. They'd take it in and spit it out. Not sure exactly what they're looking for. But they did start taking some of it in. I think they were just really hungry. Since none of the fish barey touched the food yesterday, they figured they'd take whatever they could get tonight. Even the blenny was darting around picking pieces up.we'll see how it goes over the next few days.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blenny eats like he's going to the electric chair. the others, not so much. I do see the clowns grab really small pieces but the Banggais are being very picky and I can't tell if they're eating anything.

I can't tell what is in the food, or not in the food that they are not liking.

maybe I try a different type of food with ONLY a few meats in it. (shrimp, scallops, and squid and leave it all the other dry/wet ingredients)

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have found a work around so that the new DIY food gets eaten.

All 5 fish that I have (clowns, blenny, Banggais) love the Frozen blister pack of Hikari Omega Brine Shrimp. have since day 1.
I decided to mix a little of that, a long with my DIY food, and all of them eat everything up. Or at least eat till full. Although the blenny never gets full, regardless of his stomach size

not sure why mixing the two makes any difference, but idon't mind. at least they're eating my concoction

:D

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back