my Royal Gamma. where is she?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw an adult at LFS and asked if they had any juv's. They did it was gorgeous, until i released her into the reef tank this afternoon. there has been absolutely no sign of her since then. I imagine if she's feeling uneasy about her new environment, she could find a place to hide in 25 lbs of live rock. I hope to see her soon.
edit
she has done such a good job making herself scarce that she had me looking all around outside the tank, you know, just in case.

I think the same thing happened to my fire goby. Brought her home to the tank. I thought she was lost. Now she carouses as if she owns the joint.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first Royal gramma (clown killed it later) found tiny caves in my rock to hide in. Like tube like caves I didn’t even know existed. I’ve heard they’ll hide for a few days when first added or spooked.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i saw an adult at LFS and asked if they had any juv's. They did it was gorgeous, until i released her into the reef tank this afternoon. there had been absolutely no sign of her since then. I imagine if she's feeling uneasy about her new environment, she could find a place to hide in 25 lbs of live rock. I hope to see her soon.
edit
she has done such a good job making herself scarce that she had me looking all around outside the tank, you know, just in case.
They are excellent hiders and likely is the case but i must mention, they are also excellent jumpers and a cover may be a necessity. Other would be their ability to get through overflow and end up in overflow area and even end up in the sump.
My best guess is hiding within a rock and at tomorrow feeding should appear

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah
If you are worried about jumpers I hope you have a lid if not it’s a must and you can rest easy knowing your fish are secure in their home.
yeah, I'm gonna be ordering one from Krakken this week. I hope they're turn around time is good. I already lost a blue damsal . i Have a protective fabric matt in front of my tank and i found it underneath that. sad.
I heard one can make a DIY version. Maybe I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and get the material for temporary one.

Vinaka_vakalevu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma is still a panicker and will spend 10-15 minutes hiding after it gets spooked. Spent days hiding after I got it

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma stays hiding behind rocks all day, it very rarely comes out to say hi. I've had it 3 years now in a lidless tank. Its really a loner type fish IME

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely see mine. It stays in a cave and sometimes comes out at feedings. Every time I see it, I say, "oh, you're still alive"

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she did appear this morning, although looks like I have to get a lid. breakfast has not yet been served. Breakfast has not yet been served.

IMG_5652.jpeg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back