My Zoas won't open

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I have had these two Zoa Frags for about 3 months now. One of them is always open and the other one hasn't opened for the past month. Sometimes he opens up 1/4 of the way but never full way anymore. Also Never Extends the polyps anymore. I dipped him last weekend and nothing changed. I have moved him around and it seems that placement isnt the issue. Any Ideas? None of my other corals have had issues. How long can they live closed up?

Parameters:
Ammonia - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM
Nitrate - 5-10 PPM
PH - 8.0 - 8.2
Phospate 0 -0.25 PPM
Calcium 420 - 440 PPM
DKH 8-9
Salinity 1.024
Thanks
tempImage6KNawW.jpg
tempImageIn91aF.jpg
tempImagelqBOVn.jpg

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the stretching picture, they may want more light. If you can keep Kenya trees / leather corals happy, then zoas would be ok in the same parameters. Check closely for zoa pox (will look kind of like a sprinkling of white salt) or zoa spiders (you'll know when you see them, but they are small) as they could be irritating it. Some fish also nip at them, but I don't see any corallivores so it could be your clown rubbing up on it when you're not looking. Parameter wise, everything looks good although 0-.25 phosphates is a large range to swing through regularly

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I have had these two Zoa Frags for about 3 months now. One of them is always open and the other one hasn't opened for the past month. Sometimes he opens up 1/4 of the way but never full way anymore. Also Never Extends the polyps anymore. I dipped him last weekend and nothing changed. I have moved him around and it seems that placement isnt the issue. Any Ideas? None of my other corals have had issues. How long can they live closed up?

Parameters:
Ammonia - 0 PPM
Nitrite - 0 PPM
Nitrate - 5-10 PPM
PH - 8.0 - 8.2
Phospate 0 -0.25 PPM
Calcium 420 - 440 PPM
DKH 8-9
Salinity 1.024
Thanks
tempImage6KNawW.jpg
tempImageIn91aF.jpg
tempImagelqBOVn.jpg

Check your SG reading against another meter, or calibrate your tester if possible.

I'm dealing with closed up zoas too, and after looking for issues I found that my hanna checker was out of calibration and reading high, so my SG was actually down around 1.022 idk if that's enough to cause problems but I'm slowly bringing mine back up and hoping for a positive response.

Goodluck!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your SG reading against another meter, or calibrate your tester if possible.

I'm dealing with closed up zoas too, and after looking for issues I found that my hanna checker was out of calibration and reading high, so my SG was actually down around 1.022 idk if that's enough to cause problems but I'm slowly bringing mine back up and hoping for a positive response.

Goodluck!
Imo (not to make the op chase geese) but salinity is so often barely mentioned or considered as a cause of issues but can often be a contributing factor to stuff being out of whack. All it takes is not testing for a few weeks and it can drift especially if you're not on top of your ATO.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, in my experience, appreciate more flow than most people think. Gunk can accumulate on the matting between polyps, and that buildup can agitate them.

I’d try giving them more flow (along with more light like another comment mentioned).

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the stretching picture, they may want more light. If you can keep Kenya trees / leather corals happy, then zoas would be ok in the same parameters. Check closely for zoa pox (will look kind of like a sprinkling of white salt) or zoa spiders (you'll know when you see them, but they are small) as they could be irritating it. Some fish also nip at them, but I don't see any corallivores so it could be your clown rubbing up on it when you're not looking. Parameter wise, everything looks good although 0-.25 phosphates is a large range to swing through regularly
I use API Testers... that's the range it gives me not 0 but not 0.25 so in between those. I believe my levels are quite stable. I have a Foxface, but he hasn't been dipping at any other coral.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas, in my experience, appreciate more flow than most people think. Gunk can accumulate on the matting between polyps, and that buildup can agitate them.

I’d try giving them more flow (along with more light like another comment mentioned).
If move them to the same level as my Kenya Tree, Leather, and Torches would that be better?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If move them to the same level as my Kenya Tree, Leather, and Torches would that be better?

Could be worth trying! And you can always wait to “permanently” fix them to the rock until you find a place where you see they look happier.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API Testers... that's the range it gives me not 0 but not 0.25 so in between those. I believe my levels are quite stable. I have a Foxface, but he hasn't been dipping at any other coral.
Foxfaces have been known to chow on zoas. Most rabbitfish are hit and miss with coral. You could try observing it to see if it is chomping on them, though my gut is telling me they'd be gone already if it had taken a liking to them.

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your Magnesium level? You didn't include it in your parameters.

My experience has been that if that number is on the low side, some of my Zoas don't always want to open. They're good if it's over ~1,350 or so.

OP
OP
M

mr fishy 3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your Magnesium level? You didn't include it in your parameters.

My experience has been that if that number is on the low side, some of my Zoas don't always want to open. They're good if it's over ~1,350 or so.
I am going to order a tester to test that, my current kits don't allow me to see that.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back