Pipe Drain Blockage!

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reefready tanks overflow drain (Pipe has something stuck in it so the water drains in it SO slowly I cant run the pump for a minute without putting so much strain on it. The pipes are also glued in there so what do I do? I think its a big clump of snails that got stuck and debris has been gathering on top of it.

My only idea was to put the heater in the DP and shut off the return pump so whatever is in there dries up - but thats dangerous because the water in the sump gets stagnant and the fish dont get filtration.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No unions in that section of pipe so you can take it apart?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get unions to add to the plumbing.

Pull the standpipe to the return. The water in the overflow will drain through that line.

Get something to catch excess water under the bulkhead of the drain as best as possible.

An inch or more below the bulkhead, cut the pipe with pvc cutters.

Clean the blocked drain.

Using pvc cement, install the unions, so if this happens again you will be able to deal with it easier.

Until you are able to do this, a powerhead and heater in the tank will keep things alive.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the unions , one of these will help

IMG_0722.JPG

Hi.Gene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a metal coat hanger and pushed it up from the bottom.

Just make sure that all your valves are open all the way before you start snaking it up there.

Also, to prevent this from happening in the future, use gutter guard from home depot.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...to prevent this from happening in the future, use gutter guard from home depot.

Or some sort of screen or strainer, anyway. Even with one, it can still happen... our tanks are a perfect environment for encrusting marine organisms of all sorts.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is some of it cleared and its a bit faster but I can hear that its still only dripping through the pipes not rushing. Im going to get one of those pipe cleaners and see if I can clear it out.

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stuck a hanger down there and it worked, I heard it unclog! Took an hour though.
glad to hear.

I was just thinking you could have setup a hob diy pvc overflow to keep things flowing while working on the real overflow.

But that's not needed. LOL

OP
OP
savetheocean

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to hear.

I was just thinking you could have setup a hob diy pvc overflow to keep things flowing while working on the real overflow.

But that's not needed. LOL
Yeah!

I actually had to stick the hanger down the tiny air tube on the top of the pipe. I am now getting 5x more filtration than before and I cant even hear the pump anymore. (Before I was putting so much strain on it to just keep it running)

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me the other day.. snails blocked the ball valve. Caused my water to almost overflow (thank goodness I measured the overflow area!).

took me a bit to get the valve loose to get the snails out. it does tighten up over time

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now its cleared you need a fix so it won't happen again or can be fixed easier. Put some kind of strainer or something over the overflow so nothing big goes in (careful though because this 2 could get clogged). The biggest fix would be to add a union so you could unscrew the drain line and see clog and remove fast. siphon out the water from the overflow, cut the drain line under tank and glue in a union.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back