Please, help with diagnosis

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a couple of clownfish for a while and added a royal gramma, two firefish and black neon dottyback recently. Noticed dottyback, gramma and one of firefish flashing on their second week in the tank (still behaving normally and eating well). Then, both of my clownfish became jumpy and restless as if something bothered them too, but no flashing. I used PraziPro to treat the tank according to the manufacturer directions four days ago. Three days ago, both gramma and dottyback died and one of the clowns died day latter. I examined their skin and gills, but could not find anything abnormal. Today, the other clownfish is covered in something white and one of her fins looks damaged.
Parameters:
Temp. - 76
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8
Amonia - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphates - 0
Strangely, after all this, both firefish look and behave completely healthy.

Unfortunately, I don't have QT and removing the clown for any treatment that can affect corals is not possible.

Can anyone tell me, please, what could be the problem and what should I do?

Attachments

• 20240424_101039.mp4
    6.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obriy Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had a couple of clownfish for a while and added a royal gramma, two firefish and black neon dottyback recently. Noticed dottyback, gramma and one of firefish flashing on their second week in the tank (still behaving normally and eating well). Then, both of my clownfish became jumpy and restless as if something bothered them too, but no flashing. I used PraziPro to treat the tank according to the manufacturer directions four days ago. Three days ago, both gramma and dottyback died and one of the clowns died day latter. I examined their skin and gills, but could not find anything abnormal. Today, the other clownfish is covered in something white and one of her fins looks damaged.
Parameters:
Temp. - 76
Salinity - 1.025
PH - 8
Amonia - 0
Nitrate - 10
Phosphates - 0
Strangely, after all this, both firefish look and behave completely healthy.

Unfortunately, I don't have QT and removing the clown for any treatment that can affect corals is not possible.

Can anyone tell me, please, what could be the problem and what should I do?
How did you apply/how much of Prazi? I ask as Prazi can reduce both oxygn and appetite and may have. Adding an air stone is Highly recommended with use of prazi. I recommended .4 ML per 20 gals of water.
Go with useable gallons as example. . . . 20 gal tank would be 16 useable gallons

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish sure looks like it has a severe case of Brooklynella. That is difficult to treat if you don't have formalin (and that is toxic to people and is tricky to use in a home). Your next best bet is to use Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but in my experience, it doesn't work very well in severe cases like this....

Jay

OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 10ml of PraziPro in an AIO return chamber (45 gallon of water in the tank). Haven't heard anything about airstone before. Does it still make sense to add it 4 days after dozing?

OP
OP
O

Obriy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish sure looks like it has a severe case of Brooklynella. That is difficult to treat if you don't have formalin (and that is toxic to people and is tricky to use in a home). Your next best bet is to use Ruby Reef Rally Pro, but in my experience, it doesn't work very well in severe cases like this....

Jay
So, should I euthanize the clown hoping to save firefish, or are they doomed too? And, if the firefish survives without any signs of the disease, how fast would it be safe to add new fish. How long Brooklynella stays in the tank?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before euthanizing, attempt 5 min FWD and move to sterile enrollment could potentially buy time.

I've had success with combining FWD and ruby reef pro dips as well. I did conduct three dips 24 hour apart and sterile tank afterwards.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 10ml of PraziPro in an AIO return chamber (45 gallon of water in the tank). Haven't heard anything about airstone before. Does it still make sense to add it 4 days after dozing?
Low oxygen levels doesn’t happen every time, but the air stone is a precaution if it does. The problem shows up 2 or 3 days after dosing. You are probably past the point of it being an issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, should I euthanize the clown hoping to save firefish, or are they doomed too? And, if the firefish survives without any signs of the disease, how fast would it be safe to add new fish. How long Brooklynella stays in the tank?

Euthanizing the clown wont help the firefish, they've already been exposed. However Brooklynella does not infect all fish equally.

I would try the idea mentioned of a 5 minute FW dip, move to a new tank and treat with Rally Pro.....

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Other forum members have claimed that metronidazole treats Brooklynella. Do you disagree with this assertion?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other forum members have claimed that metronidazole treats Brooklynella. Do you disagree with this assertion?
No, that does not control Brooklynella. It is best used orally to control gut flagellates.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back