Posting Hi Res Pics

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am a photography novice and looking to develop my skills and post some quality photos of my tank on the forums.

I am currently using photobucket or Flickr to save/upload my images to the forums.

My camera is an entry level Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm lens.

When I shoot in RAW and edit my photos on Nikon's standard program I can get them looking really good (for my skill set at least) however the file sizes are too big to be uploaded to a forum. So I have to end up converting them to JPEG and they end up looking crappy compared to me RAW file.

I understand why they look worse but how are you guys that take all of these awesome pics actually getting the file to a decent size to be uploaded to forums while maintaining the actual picture quality?

What am I doing wrong?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am a photography novice and looking to develop my skills and post some quality photos of my tank on the forums.

I am currently using photobucket or Flickr to save/upload my images to the forums.

When I shoot in RAW and edit my photos on Nikon's standard program I can get them looking really good (for my skill set at least) however the file sizes are too big to be uploaded to a forum. So I have to end up converting them to JPEG and they end up looking crappy compared to me RAW file.

I understand why they look worse but how are you guys that take all of these awesome pics actually getting the file to a decent size to be uploaded to forums while maintaining the actual picture quality?

What am I doing wrong?
Check your jpeg export setting. There should be absolutely no difference in a full res jpeg image and a raw image viewed on your computer in the same software.
Find a spot between the 4500x3200 full image size and around 2000x 1700 plus a light JPEG compression.
Also check the link on the photobucket hosting and make sure it's not re compression ing them.
Keep in mind all sites have a basic decompression that does lose some image quality. All. It's to save bandwidth. So you can wind up triple compressing and they do make those buttons hard to find.
Honestly here on r2r. I send the pics to my phone and post using Tapatalk as the compression is pretty light through the default Vimeo histing or paying the membership I have image hosting and up load from the desktop

Last edited:

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use photobucket for 99% of my forum posting but resize the JPEG down to about 800x600. Most forums are fine at that size. If you try to upload a large JPEG to something like Facebook, the compression is so bad it makes the image look horrible. There is a cheat sheet out there if you search for it for optimum posting sizes on social media. As far as forums go, I agree with the above, for viewing online, you shouldn't really see a difference between raw and JPEG. Shoot, I even bring my resolution down to 95 dpi for online posting, makes it pretty nasty for someone trying to print it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We allow a 100MB upload to our forum per attachment. That should be good enough and uploading to threads is WAY easier than PB or any other photo hosting site.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We allow a 100MB upload to our forum per attachment. That should be good enough and uploading to threads is WAY easier than PB or any other photo hosting site.
Yes Sir, it prevents the over compression prob of a linked photo. THATS Voo Doo i Def dont understand.

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

What am I doing wrong?
If it's only for viewing purpose for this forum, I think jpeg format should be fine. I shoot RAW but I upload photos on JPEG format from iPhone. It looks good to me.BTW, I'm new too on photography and reef tank hobby. Trying to learn everyday...

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100mb uploads? Good grief, I didn't know that. But,..... how does a 10 or 15 mg image show up? Is it auto resized to display correctly on different viewing formats? I've seen "some" forums post a huge image and I had to scroll forever in each direction to see the entire image. And, I'm also putting this out there just in case some folks don't know, a full size, high resolution image is easily lifted. IMHO, it's true, posting from a separate hosting site is a bigger hassle, but it's safer to resize from them and post to a forum if you're concerned about protecting your image. just my $0.02

zeeGGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These photos were taken as RAW then converted to JPEG and uploaded from my phone:
1093f475e9194404ed9383110fe77be0.jpg
3a4bd209b9f7a4999fc88241090e38dd.jpg
ef96034b736880534252001d07b344d7.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!

justdeb1107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I attempt to upload a pic, except super cropped, it says file too big. But, for instance, this screenshot shows my pic is only 2.9 Mb. Still won't upload. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_4234.jpeg
    IMG_4234.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 15

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I attempt to upload a pic, except super cropped, it says file too big. But, for instance, this screenshot shows my pic is only 2.9 Mb. Still won't upload. What am I doing wrong?
This just started happening to me this week with my new iPhone 15 … must be a setting ….waiting for your answer also

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for letting me know. I have found the issue and am working to resolve it. Give us a bit of time. Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This just started happening to me this week with my new iPhone 15 … must be a setting ….waiting for your answer also

Can you give it a shot now?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow, this would not upload yesterday in the fish breeding forum…. don’t know what happened but thanks
Had to install some code to make up for the upgraded megapixels of these phones!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My pleasure! We have a great team here. Thank you both for sharing your photos!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back