Power Head Horror Story

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I got a bubble tip anemone for my to Clownfish, i put them in the tank and everything was going great when i got up today, i saw an extremely cloudy tank and a overflowing protein skimmer collection cup. turns out my anemone found a place he thought he like(in my power head and got sucked through.
So far nothign else has died but time will tell

has this ever happened to anyone else

Yellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened to me three weeks ago. I had to remove all the rock and rinse it off. Plus dig out all the left over pieces. So while I was at it I changed 75% of the water.
I should say that I rinsed the rock with tank water. Everything else came out ok

JR,

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That happens alot when you have powerheads that have no screen or filter material over the intake and add a anemone to the tank. Alot of the times they will wander around a little untill they find a spot they like, and in the process find that powerhead.
A couple of large water changes and carbon will help the water quality.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it happens rather often. I has happened to me 3 or 4 times over the years of reef keeping.

reefdiver72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a huge rose this way I thought i had all of them off but one back behind all my rock got left on I am still not even sure how it found it but it was stuck in it the next morning.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there isn't bits and pieces of the anem caught in your coral colonies... I know HUGE SPS tanks that have been totally runied due to this.

Back