Scoly Propagation- Round Two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great to see someone frag something exciting. Are these under MH or Radions? What are you guys keeping calcium at? Whats next?...... fish?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I predict it will all work out well and should give everyone the chance to own a scoly. I cut up my fungia a few weeks back and it's doing fine. I don't have the nice equipment ya'll have so I used a chef knife and a hammer, sounds harsh but even the pieces without mouth are fine. I lost one small piece that was more of a breakoff than an intentional cut. I enjoy the documentation, it's awesome that ya'll take the time to let us know with the write-ups.

Ohh..That was another pet project I wanted to play with...Keep us all in the loop on that one, too!

-Scott

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a crazy idea or if there is any validity to it but I'm going to throw it out there anyway:

Do you think if you gave the scoly frag some thing to grow on it would grow quicker? What got me thinking about this is when people use epoxy to make the frag level with the plug when mounting chalice frags to discs. Theory is that it grows faster because it does not have to grow "down" to the plug and then across it can just grow across. I know scolys and chalices are very different but it's a thought. Maybe a ceramic piece (like frag plugs) shaped so that the frag will fit inside. Or even a piece of live rock with a piece cut out in the shape of the frag where the frag could be "inserted" and glued for lack of a better term. Just some ideas in my head like I said not sure if it even makes sense just throwing it out there.

Best of luck with this and please keep us updated.

Last edited:

Pmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is a crazy idea or if there is any validity to it but I'm going to throw it out there anyway:

Do you think if you gave the scoly frag some thing to grow on it would grow quicker? What got me thinking about this is when people use epoxy to make the frag level with the plug when mounting chalice frags to discs. Theory is that it grows faster because it does not have to grow "down" to the plug and then across it can just grow across. I know scolys and chalices are very different but it's a thought. Maybe a ceramic piece (like frag plugs) shaped so that the frag will fit inside. Or even a piece of live rock with a piece cut out in the shape of the frag where the frag could be "inserted" and glued for lack of a better term. Just some ideas in my head like I said not sure if it even makes sense just throwing it out there.

Best of luck with this and please keep us updated.

Very interesting idea and it makes sense. Would the lack of circulation around the cutoff edges prevent healing though?

Great write up by unique! Looking forward to the updates.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its great to see someone frag something exciting. Are these under MH or Radions? What are you guys keeping calcium at? Whats next?...... fish?

Actually, we're keeping these under T5 at the moment, but we are investigating phasing out all of our T5 in favor of LED...we're testing a few things and will have more to say about this in the coming months. Our Calcium levels are very typical "reef"- about 400 or so. Nothing crazy added to the water; we do add Potassium, as we have talked about previously, but no other additives or secret elixirs!

Pretty straightforward stuff; hoping that good, conscientious care will overcome our natural human propensity for mistakes and net some successful frags!

We'll keep this updated as we progress!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting idea and it makes sense. Would the lack of circulation around the cutoff edges prevent healing though?

Great write up by unique! Looking forward to the updates.

Hmm, great thoughts by both of you, kschweer and Pmark! The frags are mounted on conventional plugs, for the very reason that Pmark postulates- we think a smooth surface will a) prevent abrasions that could lead to infection when the frag is vulnerable, and b) allow water flow around the coral to promote healing. Although, kschweer, I like the idea of "nesting" a frag inside a rock, as we have received many wild Scolys that come in this fashion...All interesting concepts which deserve much more research...May have to make some more frags to try these ideas!

Thanks for the input!

-Scott

mrs.nanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a frag of the mottled ufo or just it at a giant discount lol jk. :D one day right. Can't wait to see how these turn out!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We're pretty excited...They are actually under T5's at this time...We will update soon. Sadly, I think only two of the attempts look like they have a chance at become grafts...The others are more-or-less healing as separate corals...We'll see.

Maybe I can frag ten dollar bills! LOL

-Scott

erm213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, great thoughts by both of you, kschweer and Pmark! The frags are mounted on conventional plugs, for the very reason that Pmark postulates- we think a smooth surface will a) prevent abrasions that could lead to infection when the frag is vulnerable, and b) allow water flow around the coral to promote healing. Although, kschweer, I like the idea of "nesting" a frag inside a rock, as we have received many wild Scolys that come in this fashion...All interesting concepts which deserve much more research...May have to make some more frags to try these ideas!

Thanks for the input!

-Scott

You can do both. After fragging, let the tissue heal for some time on a plug. Then nest it on a rock. I do this with, and I think it really helps the corals spread out quicker.

Erik

Worldwide reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome stuff guys. Im currently working towards my graduate study's in coral conservation and my main focus for my studies is aquaculturing of coral species to propagate genetics as well as promote diversity to rebuilding reefs. Im fot sure staying updated with this!! Just for sure take pictures and detail all information in terms of parameters and to measure when needed...i have separate log books now for all collected specimens ita almost time for another book shelf!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very awesome stuff guys. Im currently working towards my graduate study's in coral conservation and my main focus for my studies is aquaculturing of coral species to propagate genetics as well as promote diversity to rebuilding reefs. Im fot sure staying updated with this!! Just for sure take pictures and detail all information in terms of parameters and to measure when needed...i have separate log books now for all collected specimens ita almost time for another book shelf!

All good to hear...We have good information on all of the params, etc., which I'll be glad to provide here...Just want to get some updated pics out soon.

The mouthless frags are doing ok, BTW!

-Scott

Back