Secrets to some of the best coral photography

willitrue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many guides on the Internet about how to shoot correctly in different conditions. There are also guides about which camera models are best to buy at the moment how much it costs.

periocillin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many guides on the Internet about how to shoot correctly in different conditions. There are also guides about which camera models are best to buy at the moment how much it costs.
link?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that the Google pixel line of phones can take some pretty decent pictures using an orange filter. I'm sure there is some incremental increase in quality with a dedicated camera, and I'm sure that the photography aficionados will clutch their pearls to hear me suggest a camera phone ...
PXL_20220213_142252490.jpg
PXL_20220213_230021837.jpg

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that my iPhone with a filter can take a decent picture if the coral is close to the front glass but loses crispness the further it is set back in the tank.
Still trying to figure out settings on the SLR.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a few tips. This is for dslr/mirror less cameras not phone cameras.

1. Get a tripod. Don't shoot handheld unless you're shooting with plenty of light with a quick shutterspeed.
  2. Make sure you have a GOOD tripod. Don't skimp out and buy something cheap. I come from an automotive and real estate photography background and I can't tell you the amount of times me and my buddies had a tripod fail. Last thing you want is to have it fall apart when your cameras hovering over or in the tank.
  3. Get a macro lens for closeup detail shots.
  4. If you're shooting from the front I recommend using a rubber hood for your lens. You'll be able to stick it right up against the glass and the rubber hood will stop light from creating reflections or glares.
  5. If you cant adjust the white balance the way you'd like (I think around 10k is the wb for reef photography) and you need something to cut out the blues, I'd suggest an orange filter for your lens. I have a tiffen 85b orange filter.
  6. I usually shoot at a low shutter speed with all the flow off so I don't get any blurry movement with a long exposure shot. This is where that tripod I mentioned in the first couple points will come in handy. This is just the way I like to shoot. The technique you use is entirely up to you.
  7. If your lens can hold it, avast marine makes portholes that you can use to stick your lens underwater with for over the top shots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have a few tips. This is for dslr/mirror less cameras not phone cameras.

1. Get a tripod. Don't shoot handheld unless you're shooting with plenty of light with a quick shutterspeed.
  2. Make sure you have a GOOD tripod. Don't skimp out and buy something cheap. I come from an automotive and real estate photography background and I can't tell you the amount of times me and my buddies had a tripod fail. Last thing you want is to have it fall apart when your cameras hovering over or in the tank.
  3. Get a macro lens for closeup detail shots.
  4. If you're shooting from the front I recommend using a rubber hood for your lens. You'll be able to stick it right up against the glass and the rubber hood will stop light from creating reflections or glares.
  5. If you cant adjust the white balance the way you'd like (I think around 10k is the wb for reef photography) and you need something to cut out the blues, I'd suggest an orange filter for your lens. I have a tiffen 85b orange filter.
  6. I usually shoot at a low shutter speed with all the flow off so I don't get any blurry movement with a long exposure shot. This is where that tripod I mentioned in the first couple points will come in handy. This is just the way I like to shoot. The technique you use is entirely up to you.
  7. If your lens can hold it, avast marine makes portholes that you can use to stick your lens underwater with for over the top shots.
Thanks man! I have to admit my tripod is awful...I do however have a decent macro lens, orange filter and a lens hood so I am getting there!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that the Google pixel line of phones can take some pretty decent pictures using an orange filter. I'm sure there is some incremental increase in quality with a dedicated camera, and I'm sure that the photography aficionados will clutch their pearls to hear me suggest a camera phone ...
PXL_20220213_142252490.jpg
PXL_20220213_230021837.jpg
Impressive for a phone!

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on what you are using the pictures for. Eventually I want to get to the point that my SLR pictures look sharp but for now phone are good enough

Attachments

• 627C1129-E7E6-4EA4-9374-B50EA1CFE5DB.jpeg
    627C1129-E7E6-4EA4-9374-B50EA1CFE5DB.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can I'd suggest getting a carbon fiber tripod. Much more lightweight, rigid and cuts down on vibrations.
A friend of mine has just got himself a carbon fibre one actually. I was not that bothered as I will only be using this on the tank and won't be carting it around anywhere. I will take a look though. The one I looked at was the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminium. Definitely looking at the ball on top for complete freedom of movement to make tiny adjustments.

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has just got himself a carbon fibre one actually. I was not that bothered as I will only be using this on the tank and won't be carting it around anywhere. I will take a look though. The one I looked at was the Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminium. Definitely looking at the ball on top for complete freedom of movement to make tiny adjustments.
Yup. Balltop is the way to go IMO. Aluminum is perfectly fine since you won't be taking it everywhere with you.

Back