Should I hammer marcorock for my aquascape?

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2545.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2548.jpg
IMG_2549.jpg
Hi yall, just looking for some aquascaping thoughts or tips. I have a 20g AIO. My pizza box is the exact tank dimensions with the black line at the back being the wall. Received 20lbs of marcorock to play with, but it came as 6 big pieces. Should I break them up with a hammer to create a more thin structure with more bridges/swim throughs and glue it together? Even to use one of the rocks as an island takes up a lot of the real estate and is quite high/thick.

Attached a few pics of some early attempts at arrangements so far.

Appreciate any thoughts!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_2545.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2548.jpg
IMG_2549.jpg
Hi yall, just looking for some aquascaping thoughts or tips. I have a 20g AIO. My pizza box is the exact tank dimensions with the black line at the back being the wall. Received 20lbs of marcorock to play with, but it came as 6 big pieces. Should I break them up with a hammer to create a more thin structure with more bridges/swim throughs and glue it together? Even to use one of the rocks as an island takes up a lot of the real estate and is quite high/thick.

Attached a few pics of some early attempts at arrangements so far.

Appreciate any thoughts!
I personally think both structures you came up with look cool but yes you can definitely hammer to break into pieces. I personally like how much height you were able to get with the two different set ups you came up with. Gives the tank dimension. Just my two cents.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Lots of videos on the tube to show you how to do it. Thin superglue and marco powder or just collect the powder from breaking up your rock. Hammer and chisel helps shape some of the pieces, but it takes practice.

OP
OP
scubatan

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think both structures you came up with look cool but yes you can definitely hammer to break into pieces. I personally like how much height you were able to get with the two different set ups you came up with. Gives the tank dimension. Just my two cents.
Appreciate that! Less I have to glue the better. Maybe I will hammer one of the larger blocks to use for the plateau/island and glue to get some additional jut outs/shapes on the big rocks.

Which one out of the 4 did you like?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Appreciate that! Less I have to glue the better. Maybe I will hammer one of the larger blocks to use for the plateau/island and glue to get some additional jut outs/shapes on the big rocks.

Which one out of the 4 did you like?
I vote for 1 and 3 personally.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah these are nice too! If you are happy then its good 1 and 3 are my favorites. I worry on 3 being very close to the glass might make it hard to clean. If you want to shave down some of the bulk breaking it up is a perfectly good idea.

OP
OP
scubatan

scubatan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2575.jpg
IMG_2577.jpg
IMG_2576.jpg
IMG_2578.jpg

Of course I've continued to play with rocks all day and smashed a couple for some smaller pieces. Any thoughts on this scape? Last pic is with the top cave/arch rock removed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back