Tank suddenly very cloudy

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 120 g mixed reef is suddenly extremely cloudy. Suddenly, as in I watched it happen over the course of maybe 10-15 minutes. I have had the tank for 8 years and never seen anything like it. The only thing I have done recently is adjust my magnesium up about 60 ppm. I have also been dosing nitrate (neophos) because I was at zero and battling very high phosphate (2.0). My nitrates are finally up to about 5 ppm, though still has not successfully reduced my phosphate and I’ve had to reduce alk dosing significantly with the increased NO3.

It almost seems like a pH dependent precipitation. The clouding started right as my pH was crossing 8.0, on the way up in its daily photosynthetic oscillation from about 7.9-8.2.

Any ideas? @Randy Holmes-Farley ?

Fish seem fine and coral polyps extension is good. Even my bubble tip nem is still out and usually he will tell me right away if there is a water problem.

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if it is spawning trochus, I think its super neat that they actually did it somewhat on time with regard to the lunar cycle and time of day. I read that they typically spawn 5-7 days before the new moon. New moon is in 4 days - pretty close! I use the Apex moon function to simulate the actual lunar cycle in my tank with blue LEDs. Maybe coincidence, but cool if my lighting was actually contributing to their spawning cycle timing…

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back