Uhm, I don't think my reef tank is level (LFS install)

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last month I received a red sea G2 Max 200. LFS installed it for me since I'm new to the hobby and I knew nothing about it. In that time I'd become highly acquainted with a model and probably could put it together myself, but would never wanna spend the time assembling the cabinet. I just got the invoice in the mail yesterday. There was a bit of a sticker shock re the invoice just under $1000 included 7.5 hours of labor, truck delivery, 30 pounds of live rock, and water. Fine I'm a busy professional and I make more money than that amount of time.m I would've taken for me to install it because it would've taken me a long time to install brand new so I was willing to pay the money but. That's not a thing, I just wanted to double check today to see that it was level and it's not level. I emailed to let them know that I received the invoice and sent them images, that I do not believe the tank is. What are your thoughts? it's really not about the money. I just want to make sure that what I pay for it's absolutely done right. I understand that the wave runner could make the water level change, but no matter how many times I measure It's always about the same difference on each side.

IMG_5609.jpeg IMG_5608.jpeg IMG_5606.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4” down bubble is a lot for a tank that short …
as mentioned doable but annoying….

if you still got that cheap wrench that comes with the tank, you might take a stab at twisting a few of those feet at the bottom …that tank isn’t “that” heavy

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt look level either. I would go back to the store and have them fix it for two reasons. 1) you paid for a service and should get a level tank. 2) I know yours is a smaller model but Red sea is known for seam failures and bursts. The not being level issue would effect the integrity of the seams as it puts additional stress on them.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I just received the invoice I have not paid it yet. I sent LFS an email that I received the invoice that I will pay it but that the tank is not level and I showed them the images. They have not responded. Of course I am going to pay them, but I would like to address the issue of the levelness before I do. I am not sure whether that is unreasonable or not. Otherwise perhaps there are simple methods to insert wedges or whatever underneath the cabinet.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked it hard with the wrench for well over an hour it was not an easy job. This is how level I could make it so far. I'm not sure if I should stop here . The adjacent side of the tank the bubble is exactly in the middle. would continuing on be obsessive a compulsive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 20

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I just received the invoice I have not paid it yet. I sent LFS an email that I received the invoice that I will pay it but that the tank is not level and I showed them the images. They have not responded. Of course I am going to pay them, but I would like to address the issue of the levelness before I do. I am not sure whether that is unreasonable or not. Otherwise perhaps there are simple methods to insert wedges or whatever underneath the cabinet.
Personally I would have held on to the invoice until they came and made it right.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a legal concept known as unjust enrichment. like if you hire contractors to build a deck, but they forget to put a single piece of wood on it. You can't claim not to pay for the deck. The best you can do is subtract the cost involved in whatever it is they were contractually obligated to do but didn't.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
there's a legal concept known as unjust enrichment. like if you hire contractors to build a deck, but they forget to put a single piece of wood on it. You can't claim not to pay for the deck. The best you can do is subtract the cost involved in whatever it is they were contractually obligated to do but didn't.
Sure, and it seems to me you are a reasonable human being.
I do not think it would be unreasonable to simply ask the installers to correct the mistake. If they are reasonable, people who they would be apologetic and run out to fix it at their earliest convenience.

As someone who works for a HVAC and plumbing company, That's what we would do. The installation manager is going back to all the callbacks that we have to correct issues.

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you fixed it yourself, good job. Contact them and ask for $100 in store credit for a future purchase. I'm a busy person too, when I can fix something myself that wasn't done properly I just fix it and move on. My time is more precious than complaining about it. Yes I'm totally aware it is largely the principle of it all, but I've came to realize not everyone has the same standards as I do so I sometimes just have to deal with it.

With all that said, I'm sure you will have many years of enjoyment from your new tank.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I ended up just trying to do the best I could with my own muscle. The young installer was a not a perfect installer. I went to LFS and when owner asked me how the tank was I told him in front of the person that installed the tank that it wasn't level and I showed him the picture. I asked him "is it OK that it's not level like that?." The owner was certainly of the opinion that the situation needed to be improved.. At that point the owner who is a very nice guy, spent a a bit of time explaining to me how to level the tank myself and the other (installer) guy handed me a little tool. The tool he gave me was crap. I had to end up using a regular adjustable wrench. You can tell me if I should still put more muscle into this. Some battles are just not worth fighting. I wanna have a good relationship with these people. certainly the guy from LFS who installed my tank should not have walked out of there without checking levelness. I'm scratching my head on that one. I just think maybe he was exhausted and forgot to do that. but then it Just added a little increased skill to reefing on my end which now I have come to love in a very short time.

edit , you can still see the Bubble Level is a little to the left. So maybe I'll put more muscle into it.

image.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back