What Fish eats Large amphipods?

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank has only my pipefish in there and there are some really large amphipods. I have seen them munchin on some palys. time to get back at them. I was thinking a sixline? even a yellow coris. I need something not too agressive and sixlines can be agressive.

thoughts?

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got hundreds in my Mantis shrimp tank. I was wondering the same thing, as the Manderin doesn't eat them. I wouldn't even to begin to know what I could put in there with nim that he wouldn't kill.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the Mandarin would get at them but then you will have to get it to eat frozen eventually as the pipe and mandarin would compete for pods.....Scooters are good as well smae thing as a mandarin really same type of habits and husbandry. I had a Mandarin in a 40 long for 6 years along with some more aggresive fish and he was fat and happy so I think you could do it.

OP
OP
rocko918

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am more concerned with a mandarin, you think they will eat the large amphipods? i mean these sucker are big. I also don't want them to compete with the pipes. i know the pipes are eating copods, don't mandarins like them as well?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob,

I've got the same issue in my tank. I'm trying a potters wrasse right now, but he hasn't adjusted to my light schedule yet, and only seems to attack his reflection when he is awake. I'll keep you updated but so far I can't tell with him.
A leopard wrasse is what I used in the past and I just assumed that a potters wrasse would have the same effect. I guess time will tell. But here is a link that may help.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1110038

OP
OP
rocko918

rocko918

I wanna be a rock star
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, thanks for the info Luciano. I am sure i can get John at brk to order me something. Leopard wrasses are very cool. so i guess i will start there.

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My leopard wrasse and mandarin seem to use the buddy system...they go around the tank alot together ... eating pods off the rock.

Now if only they ate bristleworms too ... heh.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of beautfiul, reef-safe fairy wrasses that would love to have a go at those things. I wouldn't suggest a christmas for a pipe fish tank because they can become very dominant fish and might bother your pipefish. Same thing with sixlines when they get larger. Good wrasses are: lubbock's, flasher, blue scale, exquisite, red tail, and most in the fairy family. Yellow coris are also nice and cheap.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 95 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back