34 years, action by the state legislature, winning the lottery, Federal & State approvals, and a plan. All for this dream fish

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing thing to see!!! Living in south Florida I have seen a lot from above ground pools dedicated to snook/bass to full blown saltwater reefs (fake corals with sharks and angelfish) in swimming pools!

It’s sad people posted not knowing the rules and you feel down! Just know you did the right thing and people would love to see/read more about this!

This guy will get huge although I think they grow slow if I’m correct. I’ve seen a 7-8’ one in the keys that had to be every bit of 700lbs. They look scary but really are just giant puppy dogs! Yes if it’s hungry it will eat anything but so personable! There’s plenty of stories of ones at frequent dive sites that would follow a certain person around.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1914.jpeg
Part of me wants to say you should try to get a second tag to try for a breeding pair, then see if any public aquarium or conservation pros want to try rearing the larvae.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of me wants to say you should try to get a second tag to try for a breeding pair, then see if any public aquarium or conservation pros want to try rearing the larvae.
You’d probably need a really tall tank for this as it’s a broadcast spawner and will swim vertically to release eggs and sperm into the water column. Plus I don’t think there’s a need for this now that protection is there and there’s too many around now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d probably need a really tall tank for this as it’s a broadcast spawner and will swim vertically to release eggs and sperm into the water column. Plus I don’t think there’s a need for this now that protection is there and there’s too many around now.
Yeah, it'd be more for fun/curiosity than anything (and I doubt many professionals would be interested, especially for more than one batch).

It may need a tall tank, but a lot of species that swim vertically to spawn in the wild modify their spawning pattern/dance in aquaria, and it would be interesting to see if these do too.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it'd be more for fun/curiosity than anything (and I doubt many professionals would be interested, especially for more than one batch).

It may need a tall tank, but a lot of species that swim vertically to spawn in the wild modify their spawning pattern/dance in aquaria, and it would be interesting to see if these do too.
Not trying to argue I’m genuinely curious what fish modifies their spawning patterns in aquaria?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So cool! I'd love to see more of this guy! Please keep this thread updated or (maybe even better) start a tank thread to show off his home tank and let us follow regular updates!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue I’m genuinely curious what fish modifies their spawning patterns in aquaria?
I can't find the paper that confirms it any more (I presume it was moved behind a paywall, but I could be wrong), but a few different kinds of fish, notably butterflyfish and large angelfish.

For a decent example using the large angelfish, Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis, kept in a 1 meter tall tank (for reference, other species in the genus are confirmed to rise ~6 feet in spawning; some butterflyfish are known to swim up for ~6-8 seconds*):

"The pair reached the surface after several seconds and continued to swim slowly just below the surface."**

*Source:
**Source:
Edit: To clarify, in the wild, they still keep swimming up, but in the tank, they were restricted by the water column height, so they modified their ritual to adapt to the height.

Last edited:

Minifoot77

Jack of all trades and a master of none
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys don’t try to go into a wreck or tower as the latter was the case with the last one hooked for the day.

Don’t you guys have fish that hide in wrecks?
Big lingcod do

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep posting as we will remove people who continue to give you a hard time. PM me with any questions. Thanks.
I vote to remove the culprit from the site entirely. ( @saltytanked )
I choose big awesome fish over jerk off who calls the cops on members
tv land ditch GIF by Lopez on TV Land

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote to remove the culprit from the site entirely. ( @saltytanked )
I choose big awesome fish over jerk off who calls the cops on members
tv land ditch GIF by Lopez on TV Land
I think everyone deserves a warning first. This is a new member. While I am not a fan of the incident and what took place, Everyone deserves another chance mostly. While this is a severe issue in what was done, correction and guidance should be first. We can also choose to ignore but a community is for learning and teaching. Now further issues or problems if pattern occurs then can be dealt with further.

I would not draw more attention to the person's name though at this point. But we can support @guppygoliath and let him know we support his journey.

I think @revhtree is handling this well behind scenes as it should. And need to stick with the grouper and journey itself to put this behind. Even though this post doesnt :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone deserves a warning first. This is a new member. While I am not a fan of the incident and what took place, Everyone deserves another chance mostly. While this is a severe issue in what was done, correction and guidance should be first. We can also choose to ignore but a community is for learning and teaching. Now further issues or problems if pattern occurs then can be dealt with further.

I would not draw more attention to the person's name though at this point. But we can support @guppygoliath and let him know we support his journey.

I think @revhtree is handling this well behind scenes as it should. And need to stick with the grouper and journey itself to put this behind. Even though this post doesnt :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Hard to argue that. Hopefully the swat team doesn't shoot anybody when they kick in the next members door. Guess the reasonable, patient, helpful people here is why I'm here.
Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let's avoid discussing the negativity in this thread. The staff is aware of the situation and comments about such issues can actually unintentionally take the thread off-topic.

This is an awesome fish! Let's focus on how cool this guy is!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's avoid discussing the negativity in this thread. The staff is aware of the situation and comments about such issues can actually unintentionally take the thread off-topic.

This is an awesome fish! Let's focus on how cool this guy is!
Sorry just go ahead and delete my posts

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't blame the OP for bailing. Tried entertaining us with his dream fish and was attacked. I see this on FB when ever someone holds up a legal to hold out of water tarpon yet someone has to claim they can't and threatens reporting them. I for one don't know all our laws and quiet frankly, neither do those who enforce the laws.

Hopefully he does return. I'll be following. Would be an interesting journey for all to enjoy.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 167 73.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 25 11.1%
Back