60 Gallon Shallow Build

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to start my build thread for my 'get back into the hobby tank'.

The tank is pretty unique, a former petco acrylic frag tank purchased from another R2R member.

14152.jpeg

This is how it looked when I brought it home. Peep the wife's cat already sticking his nose where it doesn't belong haha.

It came with a very old (and loud!) T5 fixture that I've since removed. My lighting for this build will be a combo orphek or3 with radions.

I hope to have it cycling by the end of May. I had it in my mind that I'd have fish by now, but kiddo takes priority and I've been at the mercy of the US postal service lol.

I got the rock scape to a point I'm pretty happy with, and have gotten most of the plumbing in place.

With my scape, I'm trying to show some variety which definitely is a struggle with such a shallow tank.

20240509_092339.jpg

20240509_092345.jpg

I've run I into my fair share of issues and setbacks so far, like my hanging nut for the lighting not being machined

20240506_113235.jpg

But it's finally getting close. I'll be sure to update this thread as I get closer to finally kicking things off.

Thanks for following!

OP
OP
R

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After ups and downs and postal delays, I was able to finalize the fixture and hang my lights
20240509_210052.jpg

20240509_210041.jpg

The lighting is 2 radion xr15 pro gen 4s, with an orphek or3 blue on either side.

OP
OP
R

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how the old gen 4s grow coral. I have two over my tank as well!
Ah that's great! Yes I've heard good things about them as well. I got a great deal on the pair locally, and I'm thinking with the supplemental or3 lights I should get good growth and color.

Do you grow any SPS or LPS under them?

Drewerd7

Dank Tank Club
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank dimensions.. looks very modern and cool.
Looking forward to seeing that puppy wet!
Only downside to those dimensions (BIG, WIDE, OPEN surface) is that it'll make you want to snorkel in it every time you look down! lol

OP
OP
R

RedOtterCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank dimensions.. looks very modern and cool.
Looking forward to seeing that puppy wet!
Only downside to those dimensions (BIG, WIDE, OPEN surface) is that it'll make you want to snorkel in it every time you look down! lol
Oh 100% lol. Doesn't help that it's shorter by nature as a frag tank so I look down into it every time I enter the living room.

On a plus side, my favorite tank view IS top down so this tank was a definite win for me

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back