Are my ammonia levels low?

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling for a week now and my nitrates hit 8.6 but my ammonia is only 1.5. Using dr Tim’s one and only and ammonia to cycle the tank. Is it normal for my ammonia to be this low? Curious to know what others ammonia was a week in using dr Tim’s fishless cycle.

IMG_4992.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been cycling for a week now and my nitrates hit 8.6 but my ammonia is only 1.5. Using dr Tim’s one and only and ammonia to cycle the tank. Is it normal for my ammonia to be this low? Curious to know what others ammonia was a week in using dr Tim’s fishless cycle.

IMG_4992.jpeg
Are you really measuring "free" ammonia as NH3 or in fact are you measuring "total ammonia" NH3 + NH4?
The increase in nitrate suggests the system is actually converting ammonia into nitrite, which is good.
What does alkalinity "1.8" mean? Is that meq/L?
Are you adding ammonia daily, as Dr Tim's may suggest?

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you really measuring "free" ammonia as NH3 or in fact are you measuring "total ammonia" NH3 + NH4?
The increase in nitrate suggests the system is actually converting ammonia into nitrite, which is good.
What does alkalinity "1.8" mean? Is that meq/L?
Are you adding ammonia daily, as Dr Tim's may suggest?
I’m only measuring NH3 since that’s what dr times asked to record. I measured the alkalinity with the hanna checker and that’s what it read but I stopped recording that since dr Tim’s only wants NH3, pH and nitrate. I’m following the schedule with the ammonia drops. And I figured everything was working since my nitrate went up, just didn’t think of the NH4. Thanks for that.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m only measuring NH3 since that’s what dr times asked to record.
what tester or test kit are you using to measure ammonia?
To be clear, we're assuming this is a total ammonia test (as garf said, NH3+NH4) - which is fine. And it's what Dr Tim expects you to measure, and the amount is fine and will trigger nitrification activity from bacteria.
Looks like it's in progress and should keep going as Randy said.

OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what tester or test kit are you using to measure ammonia?
To be clear, we're assuming this is a total ammonia test (as garf said, NH3+NH4) - which is fine. And it's what Dr Tim expects you to measure, and the amount is fine and will trigger nitrification activity from bacteria.
Looks like it's in progress and should keep going as Randy said.
Dr Tim’s asks for NH3 so I’m just doing that. Using the salifert kit. I’m about to test right now day 8. Lets see where its at.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr Tim’s asks for NH3 so I’m just doing that. Using the salifert kit. I’m about to test right now day 8. Lets see where its at.
But at normal pH with 1.5ppm free ammonia, the total ammonia (what most people test for) will be stratospheric.

Edit - Appears the salifert NH3 test is actually a total ammonia test NH3 + NH4, so all should be good

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bondno9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But at normal pH with 1.5ppm free ammonia, the total ammonia (what most people test for) will be stratospheric.
I just follow the directions of Dr Tim. I stopped dosing ammonia. Just waiting for levels to drop now. Which nitrates dropping already. Its 7.1.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are misunderstanding a little bit when garf is asking about NH3. Total ammonia (which you test for and Tim talks about) is different than NH3 (free ammonia, which is a small but toxic part of total ammonia). In any case, all is well and you just need to wait for the cycle to proceed.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are misunderstanding a little bit when garf is asking about NH3. Total ammonia (which you test for and Tim talks about) is different than NH3 (free ammonia, which is a small but toxic part of total ammonia). In any case, all is well and you just need to wait for the cycle to proceed.
I checked the Dr Tim instructions and it keeps mentioning NH3-N, which may be the source of confusion.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked the Dr Tim instructions and it keeps mentioning NH3-N, which may be the source of confusion.

I think it is very confusing. Then when you record your level it is labeled NH3. The Salifert test kit says NH3 on the box which also adds to the confusion to me.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back