Gig ‘ems Grand Gigantea Gathering

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always plenty of healthy gigs available here from Okinawa :p but all it takes is one gig from Indonesia to have to treat your whole collection :( and honestly I don’t have a good track record with Cipro like the rest of you guys in America seem to. It seems to often cause more harm than good.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who are better connected are shipping direct from the exporter.
That would be PEA ..sometimes.. He has a more direct connection through the contacts he's made over the yrs visiting the south pacific -in person..that being said - sometimes when none of those connections have gigs..he opts for other "middle men" and suppliers that others use...

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are always plenty of healthy gigs available here from Okinawa :p but all it takes is one gig from Indonesia to have to treat your whole collection :( and honestly I don’t have a good track record with Cipro like the rest of you guys in America seem to. It seems to often cause more harm than good.

Cool! I would have no idea what to do with a gig that looked that good when I got it!

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shallower are the species occurs in nature, the whiter light they are adapted to. Gigs are often exposed at low tide, so very shallow.

It’s also my anecdotal experience that anemones prefer whiter spectrum.
That makes perfect sense.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everyone, I think we found a new supplier! Martin, how's your packing and shipping skills lol?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Martin is doing some really cool work over there too. I think we should be careful about taking wild nems from Okinawa until they can shore up the numbers.

I say this without knowing where any of my nems come from lol

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Martin is doing some really cool work over there too. I think we should be careful about taking wild nems from Okinawa until they can shore up the numbers.

I say this without knowing where any of my nems come from lol

Thank you sir.

So, unlike over there in the states with a very aggressive Fish & Wildlife Service, 'protection' doesn't mean that much over here. Sure, there are laws, and yes, you wouldn't be able to export anything on the prohibited species list, but you can find illegally collected stuff online here all day long and no one does anything about it, so that's a shame.

That being said, there are permit-collected gigs always available here, although they are not going to be the bright blues and greens you can get from Indonesia (Okinawa doesn't have those). The ones from Okinawa range from tan to olive green to purple (Sometimes a mix of purple/pink and olive). Unlike the Mags, I don't think the gigs are in as much danger of being over collected (the mags definitely have been). I've seen one population study on Haddonis but never one on gigs, especially not in Okinawa.

I believe anemones actually can be exported from here to the US, I'm friends with Koji Wada who supplies multiple wholesalers there with Japanese endemic fish and some coral. I can ask him about exporting the gigs.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe anemones actually can be exported from here to the US, I'm friends with Koji Wada who supplies multiple wholesalers there with Japanese endemic fish and some coral. I can ask him about exporting the gigs.
Yay :) Is your foundation finding any fruit down the asexual propagation path?

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigs are awesome
IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4327.jpeg

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, they look awesome for day 0! Welcome back to the gig cult. Which one strikes you as a rainbow? And are there any more of that type on CAnon? :)....!
The green one is from that anon place the other is from a local guy who had it in his sump. I got 2 from canon and one died when the shipment was delayed 24 hours.

I was being funny with the term rainbow. Let’s just say multicolored. Haha

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget “Rainbow”, I’m looking for an Ausie Holy-Grail Unicorn Gig! ;)

You guys are making me jealous. I’ve called several places yesterday and no LFS around me have gigs! A fellow R2R reefer rehomed 2 of his Haddonis to me last week via overnight shipping and they both are doing great! I do agree that shipping can be stressful to these magnificent inverts. I don’t mind supporting our LFS but they actually don’t stock gigs due to low demand and hard to propagate.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You guys are making me jealous. I’ve called several places yesterday and no LFS around me have gigs! A fellow R2R reefer rehomed 2 of his Haddonis to me last week via overnight shipping and they both are doing great! I do agree that shipping can be stressful to these magnificent inverts. I don’t mind supporting our LFS but they actually don’t stock gigs due to low demand and hard to propagate.
We're all looking for the holy grail gig, let me know when you find it. I'm told it's being held in the fountain of youth lol.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

try Seaside. They used to carry them (gigs) often

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try Seaside. They used to carry them (gigs) often
I was at Seaside 2 days ago and bought some damsels and some CUC. Love the place and its super friendly owner — known him for years. Nope - didn’t have it either. Will try some more tomorrow

Last edited:

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3989.jpeg

Wintermint lady passed the Foot Inspection with flying colors! I wish I had taken a photo of the brown blemish because it seems to have vanished after the Cipro course. Also have another gig cooking (going thru treatment) from a local shop thanks to @jamie1210! ❤️

Looks to be a blue foot with green tentacles, but difficult to tell at this level of bleaching. Should be all upwards from here though, no major signs of illness!

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpeg
    IMG_3993.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3987.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 44
Back