Help identify this! Can’t even describe it…

hanmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please can someone help me identify what on earth this thing is living inside this small hole in my live rock?!

Thought it was some trapped shedding at first but then it moved!

The two ‘arm’ type things which are visible - one reaching to the side, the other reaching straight at the camera - have polyp looking things on the end of them.

I often see it twitch or retract slightly.

image.jpg

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Is that some kind of pincer on the end? No idea what it could be! Do you have any rock from the ocean, or could anything have hitchhiked in? Some kind of worm?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

hanmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Is that some kind of pincer on the end? No idea what it could be! Do you have any rock from the ocean, or could anything have hitchhiked in? Some kind of worm?
The best way I can describe the ends are similar to my green polyp toadstool coral rather than crabby pincers I think. They seem to close up in the same way the polyps do too. Really odd!

All my rock was live rock so had a bunch of hitchhikers in. But I’ve always been able to google what the others are. Problem with it being stuck in the rock is I can’t even tell the full shape of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2135.jpeg
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I can describe the ends are similar to my green polyp toadstool coral rather than crabby pincers I think. They seem to close up in the same way the polyps do too. Really odd!

All my rock was live rock so had a bunch of hitchhikers in. But I’ve always been able to google what the others are. Problem with it being stuck in the rock is I can’t even tell the full shape of it.
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like it might be a solitary tunicate of some variety to me - harmless filter feeder if so.

Upvote 0

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking a it could be a hidden sea cucumber (Pseudothyone belli). Count the tentacles, if there are 8, then it would be a possibility.

Upvote 0
Back