How to lower Phosphorous without lowering Phosphate

Thunderzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my ICP test came back with a Phosphorous reading of 33.57 ug/l. My Phosphate level is 0.05 mg/l. I have to dose a small amount of Phosphate daily to stop it bottoming out, no big problem. But how can I reduce my Phosphorous level without affecting my Phosphate level ? I don’t want to use Rowaphos etc as it would probably bottom out my Phosphate and mess up my daily routine of dosing P.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my ICP test came back with a Phosphorous reading of 33.57 ug/l. My Phosphate level is 0.05 mg/l. I have to dose a small amount of Phosphate daily to stop it bottoming out, no big problem. But how can I reduce my Phosphorous level without affecting my Phosphate level ? I don’t want to use Rowaphos etc as it would probably bottom out my Phosphate and mess up my daily routine of dosing P.
It's the same thing, there isn't really any phosphorus in your tank (unless you are up to no good - producing incendiary weapons...).

The 2 are quoted probably for convenience - one translates into another...

Something like:

So 33 ug/l phosphorus translates into 0.1ppm phosphate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thunderzone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same thing, there isn't really any phosphorus in your tank (unless you are up to no good - producing incendiary weapons...).

The 2 are quoted probably for convenience - one translates into another...

Something like:

So 33 ug/l phosphorus translates into 0.1ppm phosphate.
Hi, I just checked my ICP test again and the phosphorous was 33 ug/L and the Total Phosphate was indeed 0.1ppm as you stated. So both things are the same amount and I dont need to worry that they are seperate, which would give me double the Total Phosphate i.e. 0.2 ppm ? Thnx so much for the quick reply.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just checked my ICP test again and the phosphorous was 33 ug/L and the Total Phosphate was indeed 0.1ppm as you stated. So both things are the same amount and I dont need to worry that they are seperate, which would give me double the Total Phosphate i.e. 0.2 ppm ? Thnx so much for the quick reply.
right. They measure one and convert to the other. They aren't separately reported here.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you don't need to worry about double-counting, only one counts/matters.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ICP first came out (by Triton), I assumed they measured both independently. Turns out to not be true, but I agree they absolutely should tell you what they are doing with such values. Some ICP companies do measure them independently. To not clarify such issues is ridiculous, IMO.

Oceamo measures both independently:

"We do measure total phosphorus (via ICP-OES or ICP-MS, depending on which method the customer chooses) and also orthophosphate (PO4) using a photometric method based on the molybdenum blue/ascorbic acid method. "

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back