RODI filter shelf life

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first post here so bare with me.

I am just getting back into the hobby, been out for about 5 years.
I had my brs 6 stage rodi filter in my attic since about 2019 when it was last used. At that time I had a 5 gallon mini reef tank and barely used water. The system likely has made less than 100 gallons of water.
While I have a few extra sediment filters(that I will replace before running the system), I don’t have replacement carbon filters, di resin, or replacement membranes. My question is, does this stuff have a shelf life?
I hate to throw it all out and spend $100+ on all of the replacement filters, resin if I don’t need it.
It does have a tds meter on it, should I just run it and see what the tds reads? In theory if it reads 0 I should be good to go, unless I’m missing something

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
A

Aguamann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the sediment filter and here are my readings on the 3 step tds meter.

Line 1 before DI canisters- 5ppm
Line 2 between 1 and 2 DI canisters- 1ppm
Line 3 on outlet from final DI canister- 0ppm

Seems good to my knowledge? Is there anything else I should check out for? Next time I order from BRS I will get some Di resin and carbon filters.

How will I know if the RO canister is bad?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 13

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in a similar situation I replaced the RO membrane and nothing else. Once used, they have to be stored with preservative which I didn't do. It was already several years old so I just opted to get a new one.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced the sediment filter and here are my readings on the 3 step tds meter.

Line 1 before DI canisters- 5ppm
Line 2 between 1 and 2 DI canisters- 1ppm
Line 3 on outlet from final DI canister- 0ppm

Seems good to my knowledge? Is there anything else I should check out for? Next time I order from BRS I will get some Di resin and carbon filters.

How will I know if the RO canister is bad?
What is the tds from the tap and at the output of the RO membrane?

Membranes normally do not tolerate being allowed to dry out.
The carbon and DI I'd throw out (the DI especially does not long last once opened)

Spending $100 to replace them seems cheap considering the bad things that may happen long term if the water is not good.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, first post here so bare with me.

I am just getting back into the hobby, been out for about 5 years.
I had my brs 6 stage rodi filter in my attic since about 2019 when it was last used. At that time I had a 5 gallon mini reef tank and barely used water. The system likely has made less than 100 gallons of water.
While I have a few extra sediment filters(that I will replace before running the system), I don’t have replacement carbon filters, di resin, or replacement membranes. My question is, does this stuff have a shelf life?
I hate to throw it all out and spend $100+ on all of the replacement filters, resin if I don’t need it.
It does have a tds meter on it, should I just run it and see what the tds reads? In theory if it reads 0 I should be good to go, unless I’m missing something

Thanks in advance.
I did not spend that much on filters search amazon not BRS. I also got bulk resin still on the first bag. I store it in a 4inch abs pipe with screw on top. I guess the question you have to ask yourself and it is obvious to me . What is the cost of what your going to put in the Aquarium. Do you want to run the risk. If your asking the question I think you know the answer

Back