Skimmer vs.

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, considering buying a skimmer for the first time. I'm currently mostly between two skimmers, the aquamaxx nf-1 nano, and the miniq nano. I have also considered the fluval fs1. Any suggestions? I want to put it in the back area of my new AIO.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend reef octopus after owning many brands. Based on the name alone I’d say Aquamaxx would be a good choice
The only nano skimmer I find for reef octopus is the NS80 which seems to have poor reviews.

beamers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
between the two you're looking at i'd go with the aquamaxx

I would always recommend getting the largest skimmer your space and budget allow. ( highest gph pump being the main factor ).
Folks worry about over-skimming sometimes but you can just adjust the levels down and skim out denser skimmate.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I personally think the nano skimmers aren't worth the space they use or the money. Nutrient export can easily be handled in smaller tanks with water changes alone.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I personally think the nano skimmers aren't worth the space they use or the money. Nutrient export can easily be handled in smaller tanks with water changes alone.
It’s going to be a 29 gallon. I have to be away occasionally due to travel so I’d appreciate the skimmer helping me handle nutrients if I miss out on a water change or two. Normally I’d agree with you because skimmers are really expensive but this one is on a big sale, currently 40 bucks.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get the aqumax but not available in the UK, looks good.

I do have the Bubble Magus and can highly recommend it, its amazing, very adjustable and you can’t hear it, it replacement a Tunze which was awful.

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get the aqumax but not available in the UK, looks good.

I do have the Bubble Magus and can highly recommend it, its amazing, very adjustable and you can’t hear it, it replacement a Tunze which was awful.
You have the MiniQ model? May I ask about your tank size and bioload? Where do you have it set up? How long have you had it for?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the MiniQ model? May I ask about your tank size and bioload? Where do you have it set up? How long have you had it for?
Yes, Under 30g, new tank maybe 7 months, only 3 fish, had it for maybe a month, here is a pic of the skimmate, bad pic but you get the idea.

IMG_3592.jpeg

OP
OP
GiannisK

GiannisK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Under 30g, new tank maybe 7 months, only 3 fish, had it for maybe a month, here is a pic of the skimmate, bad pic but you get the idea.

IMG_3592.jpeg
Some people say it creates a ton of little bubbles in the tank, is this true?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people say it creates a ton of little bubbles in the tank, is this true?
Not for me, I have none at all, and had two Bubble Magus skimmers, no bubbles on either one…I’m daft but I actually only had my first one for 2 weeks, then sold it, it was my first ever skimmer, I loved it, my thought process was, it was undersized for my tank so if I bought the bigger Tunze I would love that one even more, its great seeing all that crud being removed from your tank, bought the Tunze thinking it was rated for my tank and had some great reviews, I had it a good few weeks to bed in, it was just awful compared to the BM, it was very loud, ridiculously so, and the skimmate was much ligher than the BM, the only plus was it was less noticeable in the tank as it sits lower which I think was why it didn’t work as well as the BM, bought a new BM to replace it.

Last edited:
Back