OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Blasto Merletti yesterday. He’s a little closed up still, and the picture doesn’t do him justice.
IMG_2086.jpeg

Also got a Muy Verde Birdsnest. I’m not sure how well it will do in my tank, but it was on sale, and the description had it listed as “low light”.
IMG_2083.jpeg

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in July I put a Birdsnest coral in the tank. I wanted to see if I could grow what is seen as a less demanding lower light sps with my current setup.

It’s not doing the best. The polyps still extend, but it’s taken on a brown color, which indicates it’s being starved of light.

So, I was thinking of light upgrades that wouldn’t make the boss complain.

Then I remembered that I have a t5ho fixture that I had on my home planted tank before I switched to led.

I got an ATI Blue+ bulb and a True Actinic bulb.

This is the tank with just the old lights on it
IMG_2556.jpeg

This is with both the old lights and the t5
IMG_2558.jpeg

So we’ll see how the corals respond to this new spectrum and increased par.

I’m slowly acclimating the corals to the new light - starting at just a 30 minute photo period for the t5 fixture, and increasing by 30 minutes a week.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put some new corals in the tank yesterday

Birdsnest. I’m trying to see how a new specimen will do under the new lights.
IMG_2579.png

Firestone Stylocoenila
IMG_2580.png

Kryptonite candy cane

IMG_2581.png

Green Duncan. This one came with three heads, which was a welcome surprise

IMG_2582.png

And a Pipe Organ coral. I’m very interested to see how these turn out.

IMG_2583.png

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some corals this weekend.

Red Monti Cap
IMG_2631.jpeg

Torch

IMG_2630.jpeg

I’d had a red Monti previously, but it didn’t last. I’m pretty sure the lights were the issue. So with the new T5 fixture I’m giving it another try.

Speaking of T5 fixtures, I installed another T5 this morning. So now I have 4 t5 bulbs running along with the LED fixture. The current bulb selection is 2 Blue+, 1 True Actinic, and 1 Coral+.

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

One thing I noticed after installing the first t5 fixture is that a Birdsnest coral that was browning under just the LED lights is starting to fluoresce green again, which is a good sign.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this thing grows in it's gonna look so awesome. Love the office nook space for it.
Appreciate it. The "growing in" part has been an issue, mainly because I've been introducing corals into the tank very slowly.
I think the two birdsnest I have in there will do well. The one that was browning, has turned a fluorescent green since introducing the t5 fixtures.
I can't keep Montipora alive to save my life, for some reason.
And I've had issues keeping any sort of euphyllia alive, except for one hammer that is just hanging on, and a frogspawn which is doing very well.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself looks like is maturing nicely. As far as difficulty keeping corals there is always some sort of explanation. Even if it's not super apparent.

I saw you added a pipe organ a few posts ago. Long story short I ended up getting one of those for free and it has absolutely become one of my favorites. Not without it's ups and downs though, after months it is just now starting to really do well.

Do you test frequently? Are you able to keep Ca/Mg/Alk within acceptable ranges consistently?

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered two concerning things in the tank:

1. Found a few patches of bubble algae. I'm going to manually remove them on Monday when I do the water change, and monitor the tank afterwards.

2. I also discover vermetid snails in the tank. I can see one casting a net that's hitting a blasto. I'm not happy about this. Some googling showed that using Coral Snow may kill these guys off. I'll have to order some if I can't find any locally. But, in the interim, I'm going to get a pair of plyers and pop as many as I can find off the rocks.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank itself looks like is maturing nicely. As far as difficulty keeping corals there is always some sort of explanation. Even if it's not super apparent.

I saw you added a pipe organ a few posts ago. Long story short I ended up getting one of those for free and it has absolutely become one of my favorites. Not without it's ups and downs though, after months it is just now starting to really do well.

Do you test frequently? Are you able to keep Ca/Mg/Alk within acceptable ranges consistently?

The pipe organ is so interesting to me, because it looks so much different than the other corals in the tank. Its doing well so far. I'm hoping for an eventual large colony which covers the rock its on.

I test weekly. I used to dose 2-part, but got aggravated with it. I've since switched to All For Reef. I like it because I find it easier to deal with, plus it doses magnesium daily instead of occasionally like with 2-part. Plus the tank gets the trace elements with All For Reef.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha - Just thinking over a few things after you mentioned some difficulty keeping monti's. Other thought is flow related. I've found that they can handle a HEALTHY amount of flow - and this is been something that has attributed to some success in my current tank.

Weird about euphyilla too. Generally speaking, keeping stable parameters are enough to keep them happy.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha - Just thinking over a few things after you mentioned some difficulty keeping monti's. Other thought is flow related. I've found that they can handle a HEALTHY amount of flow - and this is been something that has attributed to some success in my current tank.

Weird about euphyilla too. Generally speaking, keeping stable parameters are enough to keep them happy.
The area where the Monti was place has a dedicated powerhead pointed towards it, since that is also where the birdsnests are located. So I'm not sure.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some corals yesterday

A Yaya coral, which seems to be similar to a frogspawn

IMG_2806.jpeg

And because I’m a glutton for punishment, I grabbed another torch and a Monti cap. If neither of these survive, then I know for a fact I’m cursed in some way.

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back