OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I live in the Central Coast of California which means we pay a ridiculously high amount for electricity. Don't want to get into all of the problems with the California government but there are many and high electricity rates are a side benefit...

I work for a large heating air conditioning and plumbing outfit in our area that employs between 10 and 12 plumbers at any given time and 8 to 10 HVAC technicians. My job here for the last year is inventory management which means I am in charge of all the purchasing and vendor relationships etc. so, I can talk to industry professionals about unique situations.

This just got me thinking about using a tankless water heater to heat the fish tank. I started a thread about it in the DIY forum and then found an individual who's been doing exactly this for well over 10 years. If this project goes forward, I will document the process here.
Here is a link to the individual that's already doing this.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My crappy 36 w coral life twist UV sterilizer Died. Water was getting into the quartz sleeve. It's fairly common for these units. I bought it a couple of years ago cuz I needed something quickly. Well I finally got a good 56 w aqua UV to replace it. I 3D printed the brackets because the one I bought didn't come with them.
1000001837.jpg

The other big project I had been wanting to get done was to get underneath the cabinet on the tank cleaned up. Ever since install. Most of the wires were pretty much just hanging there and it was unused wasted space. I will put shelving under there in a week or 2.
1000001838.jpg

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the first time in 15 years, I've decided to try running without a calcium reactor. This is a pretty big shift in philosophy.

I have always used a calcium reactor with kalkwasser. Last Saturday I took it off line and upped the kalkwasser reactor dosage. As the need grows I will supplement with soda ash and calcium hydroxide.

The goal is a higher pH.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few months ago, I brought in an adult checker wrasse that was roughly 7 inches long.
It was quite happy and was an amazing fish. It also decided to start eating all my shrimp. I knew it was a possibility but thought unlikely. Stupid me.

I finally set up the fish trap and got it out. It took 3 days which is pretty good time in my opinion.

Took it to the store and traded it for 2 skunk cleaner shrimp.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking of switching the lights for radion g6.
I have 8 hydra32hd currently and they came with the tank, which I debated when buying it. I was told by a reliable source (the guy who was taking care of the tank before I bought it) that they had about 6 months on them.

If I changed, I'd move 4 of the hydras to the frag tank and sell 4 while they were still worth something.

The hydra26 on the frag tank are from 2017 and have about 7 years on them. 1 has a broken fan ect so they will need replacement in the next year or 2.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's always bothered me that the top trim on the tank was black while the stand and floating hood was white.

Also, this tank has a strange wire height where the waterline was below the black rim. I tried raising the water line with little plugs and that I had printed and put in the weir, but what would happen is the center braces would go below the water line when it would splash.

I tried using vinyl tape at the top but it looked pretty cheezy. My wife suggested wood trim.

Just used simple door trim and the same kind of tape that holds command hooks on. I'm quite pleased with the result.
1000001845.jpg
1000001843.jpg
1000001844.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back